Questions and Answers
An email account is automatically created for you once you register. You can log in to your account at http://gmail.student.cravencc.edu.
CCC student email system is available at http://gmail.student.cravencc.edu from any where you have access to the Internet and a web browser.
What are the benefits of this service to instructors and students?
New features include:
- Increased data storage (25 Gigabytes)
- Friendly, easy to use interface
- Craven Community College’s official means of communication
- Phased approach for other Google Tools
To reset a CCC Login account password once you log in, please follow the below instructions:
Here’s how to change your Gmail password:
- Click the gear icon in the upper right, then select Settings. If you’re on a mobile device, switch to desktop view for the full list of settings.
- Open the Accounts and Import tab.
- In the ‘Change account settings’ section, click Change password.
- In the new window, enter your current password and your new password.
Make sure you create a unique password to help keep someone from breaking in to your account. Here are a few tips for creating your password, and keeping it safe:
If your password isn’t working, you’ll need to go through our password recovery process. Google Apps users, please contact your organization’s IT admin at 252-638-7212 or 1-800-982-2233 for help with password recovery.
Unfortunately, students are unable to reset their own Secret Questions. However, you may contact the CCC Help Desk to have them reset the questions for you. The ITS Helpdesk may be reached via the following: Phone: 252-638-7212 or 1-800-982-2233.
Your username is the same as in WebAdvisor: firstname.lastname. Contact the CCC Helpdesk at 252-638-7212 or 1-800-982-2233 (1-877-98CCCDE) if you have additional login questions or concerns.
Your original password will be your birth date: MMDDYYYY. When you change your password, it can be any combination of letters and numbers, but it must be at least (8) characters in length. If you forget your password you can always reset it at http://gmail.student.cravencc.edu. If you forget your Secret Question, please call 252-638-7212 or 1-800-982-2233.
Web based access to email allows easy access from any computer with Internet access and a web browser. Integrated email features such as spell check, folder functionality and rule management, configurable email filters, incoming and outgoing virus scan, anti-spam mechanism, and faculty and staff address books are included when your account is set up. Additional functionality available from Google’s line of services will be integrated in a phased approached. Some features may not be integrated into CCC’s environment.
Google has provided information of the Gmail system with clear instructions and explanations of all the included features. A copy of this information may be accessed at: 10 reasons to use Gmail
All students who register for a class at CCC are provided an email account that does not expire.
The primary function of the Student Email System is to provide an official communication channel between CCC and its students. College departments and instructors will use this account to communicate with you. Make sure you are following the college acceptable use policy and proper email etiquette at all times.
No. College e-mail is accessible only through the web. In an effort to keep e-mail between the college and students secure/encrypted, e-mail clients like Outlook utilizing POP3 and other clear text communications protocols are not supported.
Virus scanning is built into the CCC e-mail system. Our email gateway rejects all incoming messages with infected attachments as well as non-infected but executable attachments (*.exe, *.shs, *.bat, *.com, *.vbs, etc), preventing delivery of potential threats. If you send a message that is infected, you will not be notified by email that your message contains a virus.
Class lists will be updated once every 24 hours. You may get messages until then but once your registration for an alternate section is complete, your list member ship will be updated within 24 hours.
Unfortunately, we are not able to provide support for Internet connectivity issues experienced at home. Your ISP (internet service provider) may be able to help you get connected.
t is really your choice. You can continue to use your preferred e-mail provider. However, CCC student e-mail does provide secure (encrypted) communications between instructors and students, along with other features provided through Google’s Gmail.
Gmail lets you automatically forward incoming mail to another address.
Here’s how to forward messages automatically:
- Click the gear icon in the upper right, then select Settings.
- Click the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab.
- From the first drop-down menu in the “Forwarding” section, select ‘Add new email address.’
- Enter the email address to which you’d like your messages forwarded.
- For your security, we’ll send a verification to that email address.
- Open your forwarding email account, and find the confirmation message from the Gmail team.
- Click the verification link in that email.
- Back in your Gmail account, select the ‘Forward a copy of incoming mail to…’ option and select your forwarding address from the drop-down menu.
- Select the action you’d like your messages to take from the drop-down menu. You can choose to keep Gmail’s copy of the message in your Inbox, or you can send it automatically to All Mail or Trash.
- Click Save Changes.
You also can set up filters to forward messages that meet specific criteria. You can create 20 filters that forward to other addresses. You can maximize your filtered forwarding by combining filters that send to the same address.
The college’s goal by providing email accounts is to facilitate communications with students. It is important for you to be able to receive critical notices and information quickly and efficiently. E-Mail and web self service are fast becoming the default means for interacting with the college. If you do not use your CCC e-mail account, you may miss vital communication from your instructors.
During the implementation of CCC’s Gmail all forwarding addresses will be removed. If you are a new student and have entered a personal email address on your application it will be necessary to follow the steps listed in the previous answer to establish this address for email forwarding. To remove any email forwarding you have already established through CCC’s Gmail service use the following steps:
- Log in to your CCC student email account at http://gmail.student.cravencc.edu.
- Select Settings from the top right of the page
- From the Settings menu select Forwarding and POP
- Select the bullet next to Disable Forwarding
- Select the button Save Changes