Accessing the Craven Student Email System (Gmail)
What are the benefits of this service to instructors and students?
New features include:
- Increased data storage (25 Gigabytes)
- Friendly, easy to use interface
- Craven Community College’s official means of communication
- Phased approach for other Google Tools
Web based access to email allows easy access from any computer with Internet access and a web browser. Integrated email features such as spell check, folder functionality and rule management, configurable email filters, incoming and outgoing virus scan, anti-spam mechanism, and faculty and staff address books are included when your account is set up. For more information view 10 Reasons to Use Gmail. Additional functionality available from Google’s line of services will be integrated in a phased approached. Some features may not be integrated into CCC’s environment. Learn more about Google Apps at Craven Community College.
How do I “Establish” an email account?
An email account is automatically created for you once you register. You can log in to your account at http://gmail.student.cravencc.edu.
How do I “Access” (Gmail) this email service?
CCC student email system is available at http://gmail.student.cravencc.edu from any where you have access to the Internet and a web browser.
How do I find out my user name for CCC email?
Your username is based on when you submitted your application to Craven Community College.
Beginning May 1, 2018
The User ID for applications submitted May 1, 2018 and after will be first name, middle initial and the last five digits of your ID number.
Example: If your name is John Francis Smith, your User ID is johnf34567
Prior to May 1, 2018
Your User ID is usually your first name, a period, then your last name. However, if there is more than one person in the system with your name, there may be numbers attached to the end of your name as an identifier.
Example: If your name is John Francis Smith, your User ID is john.smith
Contact the CCC Helpdesk at 252-638-7212 or 1-800-982-2233 (1-877-98CCCDE) if you have additional login questions or concerns.
What is my Password?
Your original password will be your birth date: MMDDYYYY. When you log in for the first time you will be prompted to change your password. Your password can be any combination of letters and numbers, but it must be at least (8) characters in length.
How do I set up my password Self Recovery?
- Upon initial login a page will open for you to set up password self recovery (see image)
- You will need to add a recovery phone and/or email address in order to be able to enable self password recovery.
- The phone number has to be one that can accept text messages.
- The email address has to be different than your student address.
- Once you press done just follow the directions.
- Log into your student gmail account.
- Open your account profile by clicking on your initial
- Click on personal info.
- Click on the arrow next to Phone to add a recovery phone number
- Enter a recovery phone number that accepts text messages
- Click “Verify”
- Click “Get code”. A code will be sent via text message to the phone number you provided.
- Enter the code from your text message. Click “Verify”
- Click on the arrow next to Email to enter a recovery email
- Enter your recovery email address
- Click “DONE”
View above directions with screenshots: Existing Student Self Recovery PDF
How do I reset my email account password?
- From any browser go to CCC student email system at http://gmail.student.cravencc.edu
- Enter your UserName.
- Click “Forgot password?”
- The first question, is usually “Enter the last password you remember”. Click Try a different question
- You will get this message if you have not entered a recovery phone or email address upon initial login. Contact the ITS Helpdesk to reset your password at 252-638-7212 or 1-800-982-2233.
- If you set up a recovery phone number, click “Send text message” to get new password
- If you set up a recovery email click “Send” to get a new password emailed to your recovery email.
I cannot access my CCC email account from home. IS there someone who can help with my connectivity issue?
Unfortunately, we are not able to provide support for Internet connectivity issues experienced at home. Your ISP (internet service provider) may be able to help you get connected.
Is this email just for communicating within the college
The primary function of the Student Email System is to provide an official communication channel between CCC and its students. College departments and instructors will use this account to communicate with you. Make sure you are following the college acceptable use policy and proper email etiquette at all times.
How long will I have CCC email?
All students who register for a class at CCC are provided an email account that does not expire.
If I change class/section will I keep getting email from the original instructor?
Class lists will be updated once every 24 hours. You may get messages until then but once your registration for an alternate section is complete, your list membership will be updated within 24 hours.
Can users on the student email system or outside the college access the class lists?
How do I know if I sent/received an email with a virus?
Virus scanning is built into the CCC e-mail system. Our email gateway rejects all incoming messages with infected attachments as well as non-infected but executable attachments (*.exe, *.shs, *.bat, *.com, *.vbs, etc), preventing delivery of potential threats. If you send a message that is infected, you will not be notified by email that your message contains a virus.
What if I don’t use the college email system?
The college’s goal by providing email accounts is to facilitate communications with students. It is important for you to be able to receive critical notices and information quickly and efficiently. E-Mail and web self service are fast becoming the default means for interacting with the college. If you do not use your CCC e-mail account, you may miss vital communication from your instructors.
Forwarding Email to Another Account
Can I forward my CCC email to another address?
Gmail lets you automatically forward incoming mail to another address.
Go to Gmail forward settings (must be logged into your account)
Here’s how to forward messages automatically:
- Click the gear icon in the upper right, then select Settings.
- Click the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab.
- From the first drop-down menu in the “Forwarding” section, select ‘Add new email address.’
- Enter the email address to which you’d like your messages forwarded.
- For your security, we’ll send a verification to that email address.
- Open your forwarding email account, and find the confirmation message from the Gmail team.
- Click the verification link in that email.
- Back in your Gmail account, select the ‘Forward a copy of incoming mail to…’ option and select your forwarding address from the drop-down menu.
- Select the action you’d like your messages to take from the drop-down menu. You can choose to keep Gmail’s copy of the message in your Inbox, or you can send it automatically to All Mail or Trash.
- Click Save Changes.
You also can set up filters to forward messages that meet specific criteria. You can create 20 filters that forward to other addresses. You can maximize your filtered forwarding by combining filters that send to the same address.
How do I stop forwarding my email?
To remove any email forwarding you have already established through CCC’s Gmail service use the following steps:
- Log in to your CCC student email account at http://gmail.student.cravencc.edu.
- Select Settings from the top right of the page
- From the Settings menu select Forwarding and POP
- Select the bullet next to Disable Forwarding
- Select the button Save Changes
Can I use Outlook Express to collect my CCC email? Is POP mail or IMAP access supported?
No. College e-mail is accessible only through the web. In an effort to keep e-mail between the college and students secure/encrypted, e-mail clients like Outlook utilizing POP3 and other clear text communications protocols are not supported.
If I can get important notices forwarded to another account why should I bother getting a CCC email account?
It is really your choice. You can continue to use your preferred e-mail provider. However, CCC student e-mail does provide secure (encrypted) communications between instructors and students, along with other features provided through Google’s Gmail.
For additional assistance, contact ITS Helpdesk at (252)638-7212 or 1-800-982-2233