Update: Applications closed for the Golden LEAF Scholars Program on June 11
Applications for the Golden LEAF Scholars Program for the 2018-2019 school year are now being accepted.
Golden LEAF Scholars Program for Two-Year Colleges is funded through a grant from the Golden LEAF Foundation, a nonprofit organization established in 1999 to help transform North Carolina’s economy. The scholars program provides funds up to $750 per semester for curriculum students and up to $250 for occupational education students.
Scholarship funds are limited to tuition, books, fees, supplies, childcare services and transportation.
To be eligible, a community college student must:
- Demonstrate financial need and reside in a rural county that is tobacco dependent and economically distressed.
- Degree seeking students must be enrolled at least full-time for full award. Less than half-time students may be considered pending the availability of funds.
Finalists meeting all the eligibility criteria will undergo a separate “merit” competition. Selection is based on:
- The effect of the declining economy on his or her family
- Owned or employed in farming/agriculture business
- Owned or employed in traditional industries such as textiles or furniture manufacturing
- Household member lost their job or gone from full-time to part-time
- Academic record
- Leadership and community service
The summer deadline to turn in applications is June 11, 2018.