For further information contact:
Deborah Kania, Director of Marketing,
Communications & Development Liaison
Phone: (252) 638-7210
Mobile: (252) 259-0309
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
September 5, 2014
Craven Community College hosts a free Community Day event as part of its 50th anniversary celebration
New Bern, N.C. – Craven Community College (CCC) and the CCC Foundation invite the public to join faculty, staff and students for a day of entertaining and educational activities in celebration of CCC’s 50th anniversary.
This FREE event will feature music performances, activities for all ages, and an open house that showcases CCC’s educational programs.
10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
The community will enjoy FREE entertainment, activities for children, displays, educational open house, and will learn about past, present and future of Craven!
- Bryan Mayer and his band – Winner 2014 Best Male Country Vocalist by the Carolina Music Awards. Mayer attended Craven and was a member of ENCORE! singing ambassadors.
- Craven Community Chorus – “The Beat Goes On” performance featuring students from our ENCORE! singing ambassadors, and featuring WCTI Channel 12 news anchor Wes Goforth
- 2nd MAW Marine Corps Rock Band “Aviators”
- Russell “Seefoe” Canady – CCC student and rap artist who was nominated for Best New Artist, 2014 Carolina Music Awards
- Education Open House – Workforce Development, curriculum programs and student clubs will host activities for all ages. Scheduled activities include: tours of nursing simulation lab, hands-on science demonstrations, health screenings, welding demonstrations, robotics demonstrations, face painting, puppet shows, alumni meet-and-greet, Share Your Craven story video booth, kids games and crafts, and free haircuts by Barbering program.
- “Cars of the decades” car show courtesy of Joe Alcoke
- Interactive Displays – Helicopter, fire truck, ambulance, police car, photo booth, and more
- Food and drink concessions – Fundraising in support of student clubs and organizations
2:00, 4:15 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
The college’s Lifetime Learning Center will host a FREE “British Isles Invasion” film festival featuring three international films: Calendar Girls, The Commitments, and Kinky Boots. For more information about the films, go to: http://cravencc.edu/llc/international-films.
The Community Day is an opportunity for Craven Community College to thank the community for its 50 years of support and educate the community about the college. The Community Day event is sponsored by Craven Community College and the CCC Foundation.
Complete schedule of events and details for CCC Community Day can be found on CCC’s 50th anniversary website: www.iamCraven50.com.
About Craven Community College
Founded in 1965, Craven Community College is part of the North Carolina Community College System. In the 2014-15 academic year, the college will celebrate its 50th year as an independent. With campuses in New Bern and Havelock-Cherry Point, Craven serves about 3,200 curriculum students and more than 10,000 continuing education students each year. The college offers a wide range of associate degree and certificate programs, as well as college transfer courses, career and occupational offerings, partnerships with four-year universities, specialized workforce training options, developmental studies and basic skills classes. Craven Early College High School programs are available on both campuses. Craven is also home to Public Radio East, one of the few community colleges nationally with this distinction. For more information about the college, visit www.cravencc.edu.
About Craven Community College Foundation
Craven Community College Foundation is a 501 (c) 3 non-profit corporation. It was founded in 1977 to provide financial support to the college’s students and programs. In support of the mission of Craven Community College, the Foundation offers the community a vehicle for providing financial assistance, promotes self-sufficiency by enabling students with financial needs, facilitates community access to the College’s resources, serves as an ambassador for the College to the general public, and enhances the College’s education goals.