NEW BERN – The Craven Community College Lifetime Learning Center (LLC) is pleased to announce Explorations: The International Film Series schedule for 2019-2020. This year’s international film selections will be presented monthly from September to November 2019 and January to April 2020.
Each film takes place in Orringer Auditorium on the New Bern campus on Fridays and has two show times: a matinee at 2:30 p.m. and an evening screening at 7:30 p.m. All films are presented with original sound and language, featuring English subtitles.
The public is welcome and admission is free. This series is made possible in part by a gift from corporate sponsors that include Signature Wealth Strategies, Jon Tait, CFP and Ashley Martin-Irizarry, Wealth Advisor, RJFS. Donations at the door are appreciated and directly support the international film series.
This year’s series opens with a 2018 comedy from India called “102 Not Out” on Friday, Sept. 13. This entertaining film features two senior citizens, including one centenarian, as the protagonists of the story. At 102 years old, Dattatraya Vakharia (Amitabh Bachchan) wants to live for at least 16 more years to break the world’s age record set by a Chinese man and become the oldest man alive. Fed up with his 75-year-old son’s surly ways, he enjoys forcing him to take on embarrassing dares by threatening that he will send the son off to an old age home if he doesn’t take on the challenges he throws at him and live life to the fullest.
2019-2020 Event Schedule:
- Sept. 13 – “102 Not Out” (2018) | India | Rated R | 102 minutes | Comedy, Drama
- Oct. 4 – “The Last Suit” (2017) | Spain/Argentina | Rated PG | 110 minutes | Drama
- Oct. 18 – Bonus Art Film – “Frida” (2002) | USA/Mexico | Rated R | 123 minutes | Biography, Drama, Romance | A biography of artist Frida Kahlo. (This film is shown as a prelude to the LLC day trip to see “Frida Kahlo, Diego Rivera, and Mexican Modernism from the Jacques and Natasha Gelman Collection” at the North Carolina Museum of Art in Raleigh on Tuesday, Nov. 9)
- Nov. 1 – “The Lighthouse of the Orcas” (2016) | Spain/Argentina | Rated PG-13 | 110 minutes | Drama
- Jan. 10 – “The Guilty” (2016) | Denmark | Rated R | 85 minutes | Crime, Drama, Thriller
- Feb. 7 – “Blind Date” (2015) | France | Not Rated | 90 minutes | Comedy, Romance
- March 6 – “Fanny’s Journey” (2016) | France/Belgium | Not Rated | 94 minutes | Drama, War
- April 3 – “Shoplifters” (2018) | Japan | Rated R | 121 minutes | Crime, Drama