The successful candidate must have integrity, energy, and passion for the community college and the students it serves along with an influencing, collaborative, and inclusive style. The new President must be capable of and motivated to assume leadership of a successful college and help it navigate the changing dynamics of education and community support. This individual must be strategic, data-focused and have the ability to utilize the resources and anecdotal knowledge within the College to work with key constituents to create and implement the vision for the future. The new president must exhibit strong emotional intelligence.
Qualified candidates’ careers are expected to reflect:
- An earned doctorate is preferred. A master’s degree may be acceptable if coupled with substantial senior-level experience relevant to the College.
- A successful track record of at least five years in a senior management position within a community college is strongly preferred, although significant senior management success in another complex public or private enterprise will also be considered.
- Demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills, with both internal and external constituencies; an active listener who is responsive to college and community needs.
- Visibility both on campus and in the community, evidenced by having taken an active role in college and community activities, balancing internal and external efforts.
- An accessible, caring and open approach resulting in a welcoming, friendly environment for all constituencies.
- A sound appreciation of education; a demonstrated understanding of what teaching and learning look like today as well as a good grasp of the influencers and the trends that will impact education of the future.
- A proven track record of planning, evaluating risks and championing the implementation of strategic priorities.
- Strong leadership; having an inclusive, participative style that engages multiple constituencies in decision-making, yet when required is willing to make tough decisions; able to foster a culture where stakeholders are motivated.
- Business acumen; possessing a strong belief that to be successful, organizations must be fiscally sound, evidenced by a strong record of fiscal management; having the capability to understand financial statements and the willingness to take steps that ensure continuing financial viability; having had responsibility for significant budgets.
- Knowledge of and experience working in partnership with the military would be highly desirable.
- Experience raising funds, through both traditional as well as creative approaches in the public and private sectors, is an advantage.
- A data-driven decision-maker who values assessment across all College functions and programs, evidenced by having worked successfully in such an environment.
- Knowledge and expertise with regional accreditation processes is desirable.
- Collegiate-level teaching and/or counselling experience would be an asset.