The STEP Education Program is a collaborative training effort led by Craven Community College (CCC) Workforce Development Center and Religious Community Services (RCS). Participants will be registered CCC students, earn continuing education units (CEUs), and have their program participation reflected on continuing education transcripts.
Participants are supported through a co-hort approach with optional assistance through the campus-based Career Employment Services Center to find employment. Register and attend class at the RCS Annex building (503 Guion Street, New Bern). The location is a CARTS stop. A meal is provided at RCS Kitchen.
Job Readiness Boot Camp
Step 1: Career Readiness/Pathways (2 days)
- Discovering Your Character Strength/Aligning
- Your Talent w/ your Career
- Failure – How to learn from failure and How to move forward
- Dressing for Success
- Body Language
- Top Interview Questions (homework)
- Hiring Practices (Criminal Background, consumer reports & drug screenings)
- Shop till You Drop (Clothes Closet)
- Mock Interviews
- Controlling the Interview (Opening & Closing)
Step 2: Basic Computer Skills (2 days)
- Hardware Basics & Laptop Computers
- Understanding Applications
- Connecting to the Internet & Setting up Emails
- “Hands-on” Computer Usage
- Social Media & MS Word and More
Step 3: Career Planning and Assessment (1 day)
- Career Path(s)
- Employment Opportunities to match career selections
- Educational Goals
- Goal Setting & Goal Getting (Have students write out and develop their written plan of action)
Step 4: Resume/Cover Letter/Technical Awareness (1 day)
Students will create or update a resume and cover letter.
The instructor will polish the resume and make sure students have printed copies as well as emailed copies they can access via internet anywhere.
Step 5: Economic Literacy (1 day)
- Students learn how to make & maintain a simple budget;
- How to separate wants from needs;
- How to build a positive credit history;
- How to save;
- How to set financial goals;
- Bank account basics;
- Bank card basics
Step 6: Employability Skills (1 day)
A review of the Boot Camp with emphasis on searching for jobs online and how to apply for jobs online. There will be students that have not selected a career path. It will be important to increase their exposure to the numerous opportunities offered in the City of New Bern/Craven County and at Craven Community College either by tour or computer. If by tour, transportation is provided by Craven Community College.
To ensure their exposure, STEP students will tour Restaurants, Hotels and Tourist sectors in New Bern and will tour the Colleges’ Work Force Development and Career Programs. Transportation will be provided by Craven Community College.
Upcoming Boot Job Readiness Boot Camps
|Class||Start Date||End Date||Time|
|Job Readiness Boot Camp||March 11||March 20||8:30AM-4PM|
|Job Readiness Boot Camp||April 8||April 17||8:30AM-4PM|
|Job Readiness Boot Camp||May 6||May 15||8:30AM-4PM|
|Job Readiness Boot Camp||June 10||June 19||8:30AM-4PM|
To register for a boot camp contact Melinda Becton
STEP Program Coordinator
Director of Community Workforce Readiness