This program provides benefits for members of the Selected Reserve who have established eligibility for 1606 of the MGIB and have been called to active duty since Sept. 11, 2001. This program does not accept new applications, but you may be “grandfathered” in and be able to use it as a transfer student.

Admissions Procedures

  1. Meet with our Veterans Affairs (VA) School Certifying Official on the New Bern campus (Barker Hall, Suite 109) or the Havelock campus (Redd Building, Suite 101) to complete the VA Memorandum of Understanding.
  2. Apply for benefits at If you have to submit it on paper, you will need the DD Form 1990.
  3. Complete the application for determination of residency for tuition purposes.
  4. Apply to Craven Community College online.
  5. Apply for financial aid. This can be a lengthy process, so be sure to do this right after applying.
  6. Schedule a placement test. You may be required to take the placement test unless you are waived from having to take them. For more details, contact the Admissions Office on our New Bern campus at 252-638-7200 or by email, Havelock campus at 252-444-6003 or by email, or MCAS Cherry Point office at 252-444-6000.
  1. Request to have all official high school and post-secondary transcripts sent to:

Craven Community College
Student Records
800 College Court
New Bern, NC 28562

  1. If you have served in the Army, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, or Navy, request to have your official Joint Service Transcripts (JST) sent to us. Register for an account and then request that an official copy be sent to us at the address below.

If you have served in the Air Force, please go to Air University to request that a copy of your transcript be sent to:

Craven Community College
Student Records
800 College Court
New Bern, NC 28562

  1. Register for Student Orientation. All new students are required to attend a student orientation session.
  2. Register for classes with an Academic Advisor.
  3. Submit your class schedule to a VA School Certifying Official at our New Bern campus (Barker Hall, Suite 109), Havelock campus (Redd Building, Suite 101), or our MCAS Cherry Point office (Jerry Marvel Training and Education, room 120). Failure to do so may result in a class cancellation due to non-payment, and your classes will not get certified.

Contact Information

Military Resources
Redd Building
Havelock Campus

Military Friendly (R) Schools silver '22-23 logo small

Have questions?

We’re here to help.

Contact Us

Required fields are marked with an asterisk '*'.