If you are a veteran who enlisted or entered active duty for the first time after June 30, 1985, you are eligible for this program if you meet the following requirements:

  • Served on active duty for a minimum of two years
  • Earned a high school diploma or equivalent either prior to or during the qualifying enlistment
  • Possess an honorable discharge and have had $100 a month deducted from your pay for 12 months ($1,200 upon discharge)

Admissions Procedures

  1. Meet with our Veterans Affairs (VA) School Certifying Official on the New Bern campus (First Stop Office) or the Havelock campus (Redd Building, Suite 101) to complete the VA Memorandum of Understanding.
  2. Apply for educational benefits at va.gov. If you have to submit it on paper, you will get the VA form 22-1990.
  3. Complete the application for determination of residency for tuition purposes.
  4. Apply to Craven Community College online.
  5. Apply for financial aid. This can be a lengthy process, so be sure to do this right after applying.
  6. Schedule a placement test. You may be required to take the placement test unless you are waived from having to take them. For more details, contact the Admissions Office on our New Bern campus at 252-638-7200 or by email, Havelock campus at 252-444-6003 or by email, or MCAS Cherry Point office at 252-444-6000.
  7. Request to have all official high school and post-secondary transcripts sent to:

Craven Community College
Student Records

800 College Court
New Bern, NC 28562

  1. Request to have your official Joint Service Transcripts (JST) sent to us. Register for an account, and then request that an official copy be sent to us at the address below.

If you have served in the Air Force, please go to Air University to request that a copy of your transcripts be sent to:

Craven Community College
Student Records

800 College Court
New Bern, NC 28562

  1. Register for Student Orientation. All new students are required to attend a student orientation session.
  2. Register for classes with an Academic Advisor. If you are using TA or MyCAA benefits, please inform your advisor. Your advisor will place a hold on your account to allow for the TA/MyCAA approval process.
  3. If you are a VA student, submit your class schedule to a VA School Certifying Official at our New Bern campus (Barker Hall, Suite 109), Havelock campus (Redd Building, Suite 101), or our MCAS Cherry Point office (Jerry Marvel Training and Education, room 120).

Contact Information

Military Resources
Redd Building
Havelock Campus

Military Friendly (R) Schools silver '22-23 logo small

Have questions?

We’re here to help.

Contact Us

Required fields are marked with an asterisk '*'.