Veteran Readiness and Employment is an educational assistance program that is available to disabled veterans who need vocational educational training. To be eligible, a veteran must have a service-connected disability qualifying him/her and be awarded by Veterans Affairs for this benefit.

Admissions Procedures

  1. Apply for Chapter 31 by going to You will need to meet with a Veteran Readiness and Employment counselor to determine your course of study. Your counselor will submit a Purchase Order Authorization form to Craven Community College so you can register for class and get your supplies and books.
  2. Meet with our Veterans Affairs (VA) School Certifying Official on the New Bern campus (Barker Hall, Suite 109) or the Havelock campus (Redd Building, Suite 101) to complete the VA Memorandum of Understanding.
  3. Complete the application for determination of residency for tuition purposes.
  4. Apply to Craven Community College online.
  5. Apply for financial aid. This can be a lengthy process, so be sure to do this right after applying.
  6. Schedule a placement test. You may be required to take the placement test unless you are waived from having to take them. For more details, contact the Admissions Office on our New Bern campus at 252-638-7200 or by email, Havelock campus at 252-444-6003 or by email, or MCAS Cherry Point office at 252-444-6000.
  7. Request to have all official high school and post-secondary transcripts sent to:

Craven Community College
Student Records
800 College Court
New Bern, NC 28562

  1. Request to have your official Joint Service Transcripts (JST) sent to us. Register for an account, and then request that an official copy be sent to us at the address below.

If you have served in the Air Force, please go to Air University to request that a copy of your transcripts be sent to:

Craven Community College
Student Records
800 College Court
New Bern, NC 28562

  1. Register for Student Orientation. All new students are required to attend a student orientation session.
  2. Register for classes with an Academic Advisor. Submit a copy of your schedule to your counselor and to our VA department.
  3. Submit your class schedule to a VA School Certifying Official at our New Bern campus (Barker Hall, Suite 109), Havelock campus (Redd Building, Suite 101), or our MCAS Cherry Point office (Jerry Marvel Training and Education, room 120). Call the Student Accounts office at 252-638-7268 and they will hold your classes.

Contact Information

Military Resources
Redd Building
Havelock Campus

Military Friendly (R) Schools silver '22-23 logo small

Have questions?

We’re here to help.

Contact Us

Required fields are marked with an asterisk '*'.