The Post 9/11 GI Bill® provides funding to cover tuition and fees for qualifying veterans whose service period began after Sept. 10, 2001. Active duty, veteran, or reservist students may be eligible for educational assistance under this chapter if:

  • The veteran was on regular active duty
  • The veteran must have served a minimum of 90 days of honorable active duty
  • The veteran was honorably discharged with a service-related disability (after 30 continuous days of active duty service)
  • The veteran’s service period began after Sept. 10, 2001
  • The reservist must have served a minimum of 90 days of aggregate active duty

Under this chapter, effective Aug. 1, 2009, eligible participants (veterans, service members, and dependents) pursuing a VA-approved training program may receive the following benefits at a percentage based on the length of active duty service:

  1. Cost of tuition and fees, not to exceed the most expensive in-state undergraduate tuition at a public institution of higher education (paid directly to the school);
  2. Monthly housing allowance equal to the basic allowance for housing payable to a military E-5 with dependents, in the same zip code as the primary school, paid directly to the service member or veteran (please note that active duty personnel may utilize their Post-9/11 benefits; however, they are not entitled to the monthly housing allowance); and
  3. Yearly books and supplies stipend of up to $1,000 per year, paid directly to the service member or veteran in monthly allotments.

Post-9/11 GI Bill® while on Active Duty

You can use the Post-9/11 GI Bill® on active duty if you have completed at least 90 days of service (excluding entry-level and skill training). The tuition payment cannot exceed the amount not paid by military tuition assistance and/or the total amount of tuition and fees.

For terms beginning on or after March 6, 2011, the following tuition reimbursement rate applies:

Member Serves Payable    Percentage of Maximum Benefit        
At least 36 months         100%

At least 30 continuous days on active duty and must be discharged due to service-connected disability 

At least 30 months, but less than 36 months  90%
At least 24 months, but less than 30 months    80%
At least 18 months, but less than 24 months    70%
At least 12 months, but less than 18 months  70%
At least 6 months, but less than 12 months      60%
At least 90 days, but less than 06 months    50%

Non-Degree Programs

You may be eligible to use the GI Bill® for training for non-degree programs. This includes training in areas such as truck driving, barbering, welding, FAA and HVAC repair.

Available Benefit

The payment amount varies depending on the GI Bill® program you are utilizing and the type of non-degree school you are attending. Payments are issued monthly after the training is completed. The monthly entitlement is based on the number of clock hours you attend training during each week of the month.

Admissions Procedures

  1. Meet with our Veterans Affairs (VA) School Certifying Official on the New Bern campus (Barker Hall, Suite 109) or the Havelock campus (Redd Building, Suite 101) to complete the VA Memorandum of Understanding.
  2. If you are active duty and plan to use Chapter 33, this benefit will only pay for tuition and fees.
  3. If you are using VA benefits, request a certificate of eligibility at If you are doing this form in a paper format, please complete the VA Form 22-1990.
  4. Complete the application for determination of residency for tuition purposes.
  5. Apply to Craven Community College online.
  6. Apply for financial aid. This can be a lengthy process, so be sure to do this right after applying.
  7. Schedule a placement test. You may be required to take the placement test unless you are waived from having to take them. For more details, contact the Admissions Office on our New Bern campus at 252-638-7200 or by email, Havelock campus at 252-444-6003 or by email, or MCAS Cherry Point office at 252-444-6000.
  8. Request to have all official high school and post-secondary transcripts sent to:

Craven Community College
Student Records
800 College Court
New Bern, NC 28562

  1. If you have served in the Army, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, or Navy, request to have your official Joint Service Transcripts (JST) sent to us. Register for an account and then request that an official copy be sent to us at the address below.

If you have served in the Air Force, please go to Air University to request that a copy of your transcript be sent to:

Craven Community College
Student Records
800 College Court
New Bern, NC 28562

  1. Register for Student Orientation. All new students are required to attend a student orientation session.
  2. Register for classes with an Academic Advisor.
  3. Submit your class schedule to a VA School Certifying Official at our New Bern campus (Barker Hall, Suite 109), Havelock campus (Redd Building, Suite 101), or our MCAS Cherry Point office (Jerry Marvel Training and Education, room 120). Call the Student Accounts office at 252-638-7268 and they will hold your classes. Failure to do so may result in a class cancellation due to non-payment.

Contact Information

Military Resources
Redd Building
Havelock Campus

Military Friendly (R) Schools silver '22-23 logo small

Have questions?

We’re here to help.

Contact Us

Required fields are marked with an asterisk '*'.