General Definition of Work
Essential Functions/Typical Tasks
(The following tasks are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.)
- Administers Workers' Compensation Program by ensuring timely filing of claims; works closely with insurance company while monitoring claims; maintains workers' compensation files and statistics for trend analysis;
- Maintains OSHA 300 Log of injuries and illnesses; Manages OSHA inspections; prepares OSHA and other regulatory reports.
- Investigates and reviews workplace accidents and injuries to ensure that risks are being identified; compiles and analyzes data to manage risks.
- Coordinates a comprehensive safety program for the City; develops safety initiatives; develops and updates policies and procedures to improve safety performance of the organization; develops and implements strategies to reduce losses.
- Determines safety training needs; conducts and/or coordinates safety training; maintains safety training matrix;
- Conducts analyses to look for trends, unsafe acts or conditions, which could result in potential loss to employees and to the City; prepares reports as needed.
- Conducts workplace inspections to identify hazards; follows-up on recommendations to departments on safety violations.
- Keeps abreast of OSHA regulations; monitors compliance with OSHA regulations and City safety policies.
- Provide technical advice to management on regulatory compliance issues.
- Coordinates random drug and alcohol testing for employees who possess Commercial Drivers License and for other employees who perform safety sensitive functions; Maintains files for drug and alcohol testing.
- Maintains and verifies driver's licenses and employee certifications.
- Conducts new employee safety orientation.
- Serves as chairperson of the City's Safety Committee.
- Performs related tasks as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities