Frequently Asked Questions
- Early academic alerts (e.g. attendance and academic performance)
- Online appointment scheduling, allows students to schedule with ease
- Faculty and Staff can manage appointments and record meeting outcomes.
- Campus wide coordination of student support through student tracking and communication
All faculty are encouraged to keep track of office hours and student appointments, record and view notes on their students’ academic progress, and view their students’ support network.
- Early alert is a communication tool that supports student success. It allows instructors to raise concerns, offer praise or refer students to campus support resources and shares instructor’s comments with students via email. Instructors can raise “flags” if there is a concern or send “kudos” to students who are performing well in coursework.
- Flags and kudos can be raised manually, raised based on grade book data, and some flags are system generated.
- Recommendations for support services are communicated to the students and appropriate personnel are informed of the flags, kudos and/or referrals. Students receiving a flag are put in contact with appropriate support offices, instructors or advisors and are encouraged to use the Starfish online appointment system to schedule meetings.
What Flags Can An Instructor Raise?
Our Action Flags are:
- Class Performance
- In Danger of Failing
- At Risk for Withdrawal – Attendance Concerns
Our Informational Flags are:
- General Concern – Will be assigned to appropriate advisor, the advisor can take action if needed
- Soft Skills Alert – Assigned to Student Success Coordinator, but can be viewed by the student’s advisor via the student’s Starfish file
Instructors can add comments to provide students with additional information regarding their progress. Comments are listed in the email message to students and all comments are disclosable by FERPA. The automated email message to students is signed on behalf of the instructor to make the message more personal and to encourage students to follow up directly with their instructor. Students can reply directly to the instructor via the email message.
What Happens After I Submit A Flag or Kudos?
- Students receive an automated email message signed by their instructor for all raised flags and kudos, including the comments provided by their instructor.
- The General Concern Flag is the only flag that does NOT generate an email notification to students.
- Students are directed to follow-up with their instructor regarding all flags and to visit the appropriate office, such as advisors and/or The ASC.
- The appropriate department will follow-up on each flag to provide the needed services.
Who Follows Up With Students And Clears The Flags?
Student Generated Flag: I Need Help In A Course
- Email message sent to instructor from Starfish.
- Instructor should make outreach to student for supportive intervention.
- Instructor should then raise a Tutoring Referral Flag.
- This flag is closed by the ASC.
What Is Starfish?
Starfish is a resource that will be utilized by students, faculty, and staff to improve communications, create comprehensive support, advising services, and become a centralized location for feedback, scheduling, and assistance for students.
Why Are We Using Starfish?
Comprehensive and holistic services can be offered to students with ease through Starfish. Communication between advisors, support staff, tutors, instructors and students will be improved by utilizing one location to interface between all areas. Services will become seamless.
What Will This Accomplish?
Starfish will provide a centralized spot for students to receive wrap-around services, which in-turn, will result in higher success at all levels.
Starfish Will Enable:
- Raise flags of concern when needed (Low grades, Absences, etc.).
- Communicate with advisors and support staff when needed.
- Communicate with students to offer feedback and provide kudos for students who do outstanding work.
Advisors & Support Staff To:
- Respond to concern flags raised by instructors.
- Communicate between departments concerning flagged issues.
- Communicate with students concerning flags, appointments, and scheduling services.
- Communicate with advisors and support staff.
- Schedule appointments with faculty and staff
- Receive messages and kudos form instructors.
Still have questions?
If you still have questions, you can email them to Email Starfish Help
Faculty and Staff Links:
Starfish Kiosk User Guide – (pdf)
Set Up Your Profile Quick Guide
Set Up Office Hours and Appointments Quick Guide
Student Intake Quick Guide
How do I view information about my students in Starfish?
Creating a referral in Starfish
Tracking Flags Quick Guide
Flags and Referrals: Best practices
Note recording: Best practices
Ever Wonder What’s In Those Starfish Emails?
Mass Messaging in Starfish
Starfish Connect & Early Alert
Closing the loop
The Student Folder: Preparing for a Productive Student Meeting
5 Things you can do in Starfish (Presented in under 5 minutes)
5 Things you can do in Starfish Early Alert Only (Presented in under 5 minutes)