How to read Course Offering Schedule
Craven Community College uses letters and numbers to designate course sections. Up to four letters will be used for each class, along with a number.
The first letter in a course section designates location of the class:
- N = New Bern Campus
- H = Havelock Campus
- M = MCAS Cherry Point
- X = Off-campus
All classes will have a second letter designating what time of day the course is offered:
- D = day
- E = evening (5 p.m. and later)
- P = programmed instruction (self-paced instruction, usually using a computer)
- S = Saturday
- W = Web (online, no set time, students must use computers and the Internet to access classes)
NOTE: (Only used if the course is NOT for the full-term). Craven currently has three options other than the 16-week term, two halves of the semester and a late-starting term:
- A = Terms starting on the first day of class for the full term and ending at the mid-point of the term (ex. HEA1).
- B = Terms starting at the mid-point of the semester and ending on the last day of the 16-week terms (ex. HEB1).
- L = Terms starting (late) two weeks after the beginning of the full-term, are setup to accommodate mid-year high school graduates and others.
Fourth letter (if applicable)
NOTE: Classes with unusual characteristics:
- C = learning community (part of a cluster of classes taken together to enhance student learning)
- F = high school
- K = Basic Skills Plus
- Q = LEEP (Learning through Effective Educational Planning, the college’s Quality Enhancement Plan – courses set up for a group of students pursuing a similar course of study)
- R = Early College (courses for Craven Early College students)
- U = independent study
- Y = hybrid, combination (meets at least part of the time on the Web or otherwise outside of the classroom)
Number: A number designates the section of a particular course. Course numbering will be 1, 2, 3, 4… for sections of a course.
Examples of courses in this schedule:
ENG 111 ND1 – English 111, meeting on New Bern campus during the day for a full-term.
ENG 111 NDA1 – English 111, meeting on New Bern campus for the first half of the semester during the day.
ENG 111 HEB1 – English 111, meeting during the evening on the Havelock campus for the second half of the semester.
ENG 111 HWA1 – English 111, meeting online for the first half of the semester (instructor based on Havelock campus).
ART 111 XDF1 – Art 111, meeting off-campus (West Craven High School) for high school students for the full-term.