This program is designed to provide students with the skills and knowledge to become professional cosmetologists. It is fully approved by the North Carolina State Board of Cosmetic Art. Graduates of the program will be qualified to sit for the state licensing exam.
- Provides competency-based knowledge
- Utilizes scientific/artistic principles
- Teaches hands-on fundamentals
- Features a simulated salon environment
- Has instruction in all phases of professional imaging, hair design, chemical processes, skin care, nail care, multicultural practices, business/computer principles, product knowledge and other selected topics.
Cosmetology Program Information – (pdf)
The college offers certificate and diploma programs. Either program may be completed in three semesters. Programs begin Fall and Spring semester.
- Diploma Program – 1500 clock hours – 48 semester hours
- Certificate Program – 1200 clock hours – 34 semester hours
- For Manicurist/Nail Technician Information, please select Craven Community College’s Workforce Development page for more information.
The Diploma student must complete:
- All required classes.
- Live model performances as required by the N.C. State Board of Cosmetic Art.
- ACA 111-to promote personal development essential for success
- ENG 102-to enhance writing and speaking skills for the workplace.
- PSY 101-to introduce basic principles of psychology as they apply to daily life and on the job.
- Upon passing the state licensing exam, the graduate is fully licensed as a cosmetologist in the state of North Carolina.
The Certificate student must complete:
- All required classes.
- Live model performances required by the N.C. State Board of Cosmetic Art.
- Upon passing the State licensing exam, they may obtain an apprentice license.
- They must then complete 960 clock hours (equivalent to six months/40 hours weekly) within one year in a professional salon working under the direct supervision of a (one) licensed cosmetologist.
High School Students
Cosmetology is an option in the EDGE program with school and parental permission, high school seniors are allowed to enroll in concurrently. Interested students should contact their high school counselor and the Student Services division of the college.
Select Gainful Employment to review the specific information associated with the Cosmetology Diploma program.