First-Year Advising Requirement
As a new student, you will be required to meet with an Academic Advisor to discuss your educational goals and plan your schedule prior to registration.
In your first-semester at Craven, you will see an academic adviser and develop an academic plan in your ACA College Student Success course. You should then meet with an academic advisor a month prior to registration for your second and third semesters. Even after students have completed their first year, they are encouraged to continue meeting with their academic advisor each semester.
Academic and Career Exploration for First-Year Students
Whether you are just starting your college education or switching fields, self-discovery is a great place to start shaping your future goals. Deciding on an academic program or major includes evaluating your values, skills, and prioritizing your interests. The next step is to learn about the academic programs available at Craven and how you can use your degree to find a career you’ll enjoy.
To begin your career exploration, Craven Community College uses Career Coach to help you gain information about your future career. Not sure what career is right for you? Career Coach will help you get started.
First-Year Advising Checklist
- Sign-up for an appointment with your advisor during the advising period prior to registration.
- Not sure who your advisor is? Go to WebAdvisor – Academic Profile – My Profile.
- Review your Program Evaluation in WebAdvisor.
- Create a list of advising questions and possible courses for next semester to bring to your advising appointment.
- Be prepared to discuss course options, address academic problems or concerns, make decisions about the upcoming semester, and explore program options.
- Make sure you arrive for your appointment on time.
- Your advisor will discuss your goals and plans for the next semester.
For Free Tutoring
Visit the Academic Skills Center
New Bern Campus: Barker Hall 1st Floor
Havelock Campus: REDD 131
Tutoring makes a difference!
Programs for First Year Assistance
TRiO Student Support Services
Connect 2 Success