Office of Institutional Effectiveness
Institutional Effectiveness Plan
The College prepares an Institutional Effectiveness Plan, and annually updates the materials, in order to identify planning, assessment and improvements as based on effectiveness. All faculty and staff have an opportunity to participate in determining the direction the College will take and those actions necessary to support the learning goals of the College. The process includes components at the Unit, Learning Center and Departmental levels, and a copy is available from the Office of Institutional Effectiveness.
Program Review Plan
The College has adopted a Program Review Schedule which enables the assessment of each Curriculum program and functional area of the College in a five-year cycle. The process enables examination of each program’s mission, demographics, outcomes and trends as well as proposed changes or improvements.
Quality Enhancement Plan
As part of our SACS reaffirmation criteria in 2006, the College developed a Quality Enhancement Plan that focused on the Learning through Effective Educational Planning (LEEP) program. Through the growth and metamorphosis of the College, in 2010 a new Quality Enhancement Plan is being developed focusing the First Year Experience of Craven’s students. The First Year Experience (FYE) program is designed to engage students in campus activities and help them flourish academically. Over the years LEEP has grown while maintaining the focus on a students first year experience.
Performance Measures and Standards
The Performance Measures for Student Success Report is the North Carolina Community College System’s major accountability document. This annual performance report is based on data compiled from the previous year and serves to inform colleges and the public on the performance of our 58 community colleges.
In 1993, the State Board of Community Colleges began monitoring performance data on specific measures to ensure public accountability for programs and services. In 1998, the General Assembly directed the State Board to review past performance measures and define standards to ensure programs and services offered by community colleges in North Carolina were of sufficient quality.
In 2010, a Performance Measures Committee was established to develop new performance‐based student success measures to go into effect in 2013. During the development of these measures, it was determined that it was important to establish a three-year review process to ensure the measures and methods for evaluating colleges were current and remained focused on improving student success.
To facilitate the first three-year review of the measures, the Performance Measures Adjustment Committee was appointed to review the current set of measures and recommend deletions, revisions, and additions. This included individuals representing college leadership and research. The Committee formally presented the following seven measures to the State Board in March 2015:
- Basic Skills Student Progress
- Student Success Rate in College‐Level English Courses
- Student Success Rate in College‐Level Math Courses
- First Year Progression
- Curriculum Student Completion
- Licensure and Certification Passing Rate
- College Transfer Performance
These measures were approved by the State Board and adopted by the General Assembly in 2016 through Section 10.1 of S.L.2016-94.
North Carolina Community College System (NCCCS)
- Publications – includes the following:
- A Matter of Facts – North Carolina Community College System Fact Book
- Performance Measures for Student Success – Performance data on the NCCCS and, where appropriate, individual community colleges
- Reports – includes the following:
- Annual Reporting Plan
- Report Due Dates and Status
- Statistical Reports
Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS)
- Commission on Colleges
- Principles of Accreditation: Foundations for Quality Enhancement, 2012 Edition
Military Installation Voluntary Education Review (MIVER):
Integrated Post secondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
- College Navigator – enter college name and retrieve data on any college in the United States
- Data Center – create your own reports
- Data Feedback Report
University of North Carolina – General Administration (UNC-GA)
- Higher Education Facilities Commission Facilities Inventory & Utilization – Interactive web page
- Publications and Reports – includes the Statistical Abstract of Higher Education in North Carolina – detailed statistical view of higher education in North Carolina
- Transfer Student Performance – Interactive web page