A Physical Therapist Assistant (PTA) is a health care provider working under the direction of a Physical Therapist. The PTA is involved in the treatment of individuals with muscular, skeletal, cardiopulmonary, and nervous system disorders. The PTA may also be involved in injury prevention or programs specifically targeted toward individual or group wellness. The PTA is able to provide physical therapy services as specified in a care plan developed by a Physical Therapist. Treatment program implementation may include therapeutic exercise, ambulation training, activities of daily living, and administration of physical agents such as heat and cold.
Physical Therapist Assistant is a selective admission program. The college accepts a cohort of 20 students into the PTA program each Spring. In order to be eligible for admission, students must:
- Place into ENG 111 (completed DRE 096 – DRE 098;
- Place into MAT 110 or higher or complete DMA 010 – 050 at a North Carolina Community College.
- Completed a high school or college/university level chemistry class with a grade of “C” or better;
- Have a cumulative GPA of 2.50 or higher (not rounded). If you have completed a minimum of 12 semester hours with Craven Community College and have not attended another college/ university since completing those hours, we will use the Craven GPA. If you have attended multiple colleges or universities and have less than 12 earned semester hours at Craven CC, all GPAs will be combined to determine your cumulative GPA. If you have less than 12 earned semester hours of college, your high school GPA will be used.
- Complete 20 total hours of non-paid observation in two different types of physical therapy settings and have documentation verifying the observation hours prior to submitting the application. See Observation Hours Verification Form
- Physical Therapist Assistant Application Worksheet.
- In mid-May, a time will be arranged for eligible applicants to take the TEAS (Test of Essential Academic Skills).
The Physical Therapist Assistant admission application for Fall semester 2017 will be open February 1 through May 1, 2017.
How to apply:
- Fill out a Craven Community College general admission application.* (Skip this step if you have already filled one out.) *Note: Once you have filled out a general admission application, follow the instructions that you receive in a return email from Admissions to confirm your intent to enroll. You will receive a letter from the Admissions staff with your Craven Community College Student ID number and instructions for accessing your Craven Community College student email, and accessing WebAdvisor, Craven’s student web portal.
- Complete the PTA online application by using your Craven Community College student Gmail address and password to log in.
Successful completion of all general education courses with a “C” or greater and all PTA courses with a “B” or greater in the required semester as identified by the PTA Plan of Study is required before physical therapist assistant students may progress to the next semester.
PTA Program Documents and Forms
PTA Student Health Forms
The Physical Therapist Assistant program at Craven Community College is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE), 1111 North Fairfax Street, Alexandria, Virginia 22314; telephone: 703-706-3245; email:email@example.com.
Hospitals | Clinics | Home Health Care Agencies | Nursing Homes | Private Practice | Schools
For more information about enrolling in Physical Therapist Assistant Program, please email to firstname.lastname@example.org.