A Physical Therapist Assistant (PTA) is a health care provider working under the direction of a Physical Therapist. The PTA is involved in the treatment of individuals with muscular, skeletal, cardiopulmonary, and nervous system disorders. The PTA may also be involved in injury prevention or programs specifically targeted toward individual or group wellness. The PTA is able to provide physical therapy services as specified in a care plan developed by a Physical Therapist. Treatment program implementation may include therapeutic exercise, ambulation training, activities of daily living, and administration of physical agents such as heat and cold.
Application Dates for Fall 2020 Admission
February 1 through April 30, 2020
Physical Therapist Assistant is a selective admission program. The college accepts a cohort of 20 students into the PTA program each Fall.
Application requirements for Fall 2020 must be met by May 31, 2020
To qualify, an applicant must:
- Applicants must complete all developmental requirements to be eligible to take ENG 111, BIO 168, & MAT 110.
- Complete Chemistry at the high school level or collegiate level with a C or better.
- Cumulative GPA of 2.5 unweighted (not rounded).
- Possess a high school diploma or G.E.D.
- Acceptance to the program based on current criteria.
- Complete at least 20 total hours of observation, as a volunteer, with a licensed Physical Therapist or PTA, in two different types of physical therapy settings, and submit documentation, in a sealed envelope, verifying the observation hours no later than April 30, 2020.
- Physical Therapist Assistant Application Worksheet which will be completed by the admissions specialist during the application process.
- In April/May 2020 student will be required to take the TEAS (Test of Essential Academic Skills) and must meet the following benchmarks Total score of greater than 60% and Reading score greater than 50%. View more information about the TEAS
Complete a general application to Craven Community College.
Follow the instructions that you receive in a return email from Admissions to confirm your intent to enroll. You will receive a letter from the Admissions staff with your Craven Community College student ID number and instructions for accessing your Craven Community College student Email, and accessing WebAdvisor, Craven’s student web portal.
Complete the Physical Therapist Assistant admission application. The Physical Therapist Assistant admission application for Fall semester 2019 is now closed. The Fall 2020 application will open in February 2020.
Successful completion of all general education courses with a C or greater and all PTA courses with a B or greater in the required semester as identified by the PTA Plan of Study is required before physical therapist assistant students may progress to the next semester.
Current PTA Student Resources
The Physical Therapist Assistant program at Craven Community College is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE), 1111 North Fairfax Street, Alexandria, Virginia 22314; telephone: (703)706-3245; email:email@example.com.
Hospitals | Clinics | Home Health Care Agencies | Nursing Homes | Private Practice | Schools
Daniel Friedlander, PTA Program Director