Advising and Registration

Advising Services

Academic advising services at the New Bern and Havelock campuses provide an environment that promotes student development and success by:

  • encouraging the development of academic, career, and personal goals;
  • educating students on the College’s academic requirements, policies and procedures; and
  • promoting student involvement in curricular and co-curricular engagement at the College.

The advising process is a collaborative process between professional advisors, faculty advisors and students designed to give students clarity on their academic direction and educational goals.

Over the next five years spanning through 2021, advising will be the focus of our Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP). Craven’s Advising Community and Engagement (ACE) program is a comprehensive advising model that fosters collaborative relationships between students and their advising teams. The intent of this relationship is to guide students through the development of educational goals that align with their personal interests, skills, and abilities and to provide students with layers of comprehensive support. Each advising team is comprised of a professional advisor, a faculty mentor and a peer mentor – all from the student’s intended program of study. Every new student will be assigned a professional advisor or faculty mentor in a centralized advising center.

First-Year Advising Requirement

All degree-seeking first-year students should meet with an academic advisor prior to registration for their second and third semesters. Students will be required to see an academic advisor and to develop an academic plan when they enroll in the ACA College Student Success course within their first 12 credit hours. This procedure was instituted to ensure students receive the proper academic advice and take the classes needed for their curriculum and transfer plans. Even after completing their first year, students are encouraged to continue meeting with their academic advisor each semester.

First-Year Advising Checklist

  • Sign-up for a meeting time with your advisor during the advising period prior to the start of registration. Not sure who your advisor is? Go to WebAdvisor – Academic Profile – My Profile.
  • Preview your Program Evaluation in WebAdvisor.
  • Search the course schedule, creating a list of courses with plenty of alternates before your meeting. Bring this list to your appointment.
  • Be prepared to discuss course options, address academic problems or concerns, make decisions about the upcoming semester, and explore program options.
  • Make sure you arrive for your appointment on time.

Discuss with your advisor your goals and plans for the next semester.

College Student Success Course Requirement (ACA 111 or ACA 122)

All students working towards their diploma or associate degree must enroll in ACA 111 (College Student Success) or ACA 122 (College Transfer Success) within their first 12 credit hours. Students who do not take the appropriate ACA class during their first semester must complete it by the time they have earned/attempted 12 credit hours or met the qualifications for exemption.

Students are required to successfully complete ACA 111 or ACA 122 unless they have:

  • Successfully completed a course equivalent to ACA 111 or ACA 122 at another regionally-accredited college or university. Course must be documented on a transcript.
  • Previously earned an associate degree or bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university. ACA course credit will automatically be posted on the student’s transcript.

NOTE: ACA 122 is required for students who plan to transfer to a four-year institution. Students pursuing an Associate in Arts, Associate in Engineering, Associate in Fine Arts in Visual Arts, Associate in Fine Arts in Music, Associate in Nursing or Associate in Science degree should take ACA 122, not ACA 111.

Students enrolled in degree programs other than AA and AS degrees are required to take only one ACA course. If students change programs and the new program requires a different ACA course, their previous ACA course or EGR 150 may possibly be substituted for the new requirement.


Students are encouraged to talk with an advisor for assistance in developing their educational plan and scheduling classes. Registration occurs according to the Academic Calendar, typically one month prior to the semester start. The academic year is composed of two semesters—Fall and Spring—each of which consists of 16 instructional weeks. In addition, shorter sessions, including 12-week and eight-week terms are also provided for students. Summer sessions are a minimum of eight weeks.

Students meeting certain criteria may register online through WebAdvisor, an online Web-based portal. New students, students with fewer than 12 credits earned, and special students will need the assistance of an advisor to register. Through WebAdvisor, students may review their scheduling options, develop preliminary schedules, and register. Registration information includes class beginning and ending dates, meeting days, class times, and course prerequisites and corequisites. The WebAdvisor Academic Link allows students to review their Academic Plan/Progress and includes a Program Evaluation tool and links for a student’s end-of-semester grades, grade point average, transcript, placement test scores, and current class schedule.

Students are encouraged to register early to have a better selection of course offerings. Once enrolled in courses, students may drop or add courses according to the Academic Calendar. Students will not be able to register for a class once that class has started.


Certain courses require a grade of C in the prerequisite course to maintain course registration. These grade requirements are noted in the prerequisites listed in the course description in the college catalog. Continued registration in these courses depends on completion of the prerequisite with a grade of C. Students receiving a grade of D in certain prerequisite courses will be automatically removed/dropped.


A corequisite is a course that must be taken at the same time as another course. Course corequisites, if required, are listed under each course in the Course Description section of this catalog.

Auditing a Course

Students wishing to audit courses must meet prerequisites for the course. Students must register and pay for the course, complete a Permit to Audit form and submit the form to Student Services. Audit students receive no course credit; however, students auditing classes may participate in class projects, class work, class discussions, and take examinations. In the event of limited classroom space, priority for a classroom seat must go to the student enrolled for credit. A grade of AU does not satisfy a prerequisite for another course.

Senior citizens (age 65 or older) may audit curriculum and continuing education courses tuition-free as space allows. A senior citizen seeking to audit a curriculum or continuing education course shall not displace a paying student enrolling in that same course. Seniors will be responsible for the purchase of course materials (books, supplies) required for the course and/or fees associated with the course. Senior citizens are not eligible to audit cohort-based courses (e.g. health programs, aviation), nor may they audit Adult Enrichment, community service, self-support or customized training courses.

A change from audit to credit is permitted only during the registration period. Students may change a course from credit to audit through the last day to withdraw (see the Academic Calendar).

Procedures for changing credit to audit during registration period:

  1. Complete a Permit to Audit Courses form found under Student Forms.
  2. Submit the completed form to Student Services in Barker Hall, 1st Floor (Financial Aid may be affected by this change).

Note: Financial aid and veterans’ benefits are not available for audited courses.

Repeating a Course

Students may repeat a course as many times as necessary to receive a passing grade. Students who audit or receive a passing grade may repeat a course twice. Each attempt will be recorded, and all grades will be reflected on the transcript. The highest grade will be used to calculate a cumulative grade point average. No course may be counted more than once toward graduation. Students who receive transfer credit for a course may repeat it twice.

Students will not receive veterans’ benefits for repeating a course which they have already passed or for which they received transfer credit, with the exception of ADN or PN programs. Military students will not receive tuition assistance for courses previously covered by tuition assistance. Financial aid students may repeat a course with a grade of D or higher once for the purpose of receiving a higher grade.

If a student wishes to retake a previously passed course more than three times for personal benefit or otherwise, the student will not be counted for budget funding.

Students planning to transfer to other colleges or universities should note that these institutions may include all course attempts when calculating their grade point averages for admissions purposes, and may not honor this school’s computations.

Cancellation of Classes

The College reserves the right to cancel any class due to insufficient enrollment, limitation of funds, lack of qualified staff availability, or lack of physical facilities. Students enrolled in cancelled classes will be notified and will have an opportunity to register for available courses. To ensure timely notification, students should be sure that the College has a current phone number and home address and that they regularly check their student email account.


Student Course Withdrawal

After registration students may withdraw from a course through the last day listed to withdraw on the Academic Calendar. Withdrawal from a course may affect financial aid awards, but does not affect a student’s grade point average.

A student should first talk to the instructor and advisor to see if there is any way to remain in the course. If not, the student must (1) complete a Registration Change Form found online at Student Forms, (2) have an advisor sign the form, and (3) submit the form to Student Services.

Developmental Corequisite Course Withdrawal Process

A corequisite course is one that must be taken simultaneously with another specific course. Some corequisite courses are considered curriculum courses and some are considered developmental courses. When a curriculum course is paired with a developmental course, the student cannot drop or withdraw from just one of the two courses; the student must drop or withdraw from both of the paired courses. Curriculum courses paired with developmental courses are as follows:

Curriculum Course Developmental Course
ENG 111 ENG 011
MAT 110 MAT 010
MAT 121 MAT 021
MAT 143 MAT 043
MAT 152 MAT 052
MAT 171 MAT 071

Instructor/Course Withdrawal

Faculty must withdraw a student from a course for excessive absences by the Last Day to Withdraw from Class or Audit (See Academic Calendar). See the course syllabus for faculty expectations for attendance.

Official Withdrawal from the College

To withdraw from all of the current semester’s courses, a student must complete the college withdrawal form found in Student Services or online. The student should discuss withdrawing with an advisor. Students’ financial aid and future academic records may be affected by a withdrawal and should be discussed with the Financial Aid office.

How Withdrawing Affects Financial Aid

Whether you withdraw officially, or unofficially, the college must determine if you earned all federal or state aid received. The law specifies how Craven CC must determine the amount of Title IV program assistance that you earn if you withdraw from school. The Title IV programs that are covered by this law are Federal Pell Grants, Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grants, and, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOGs). Though your aid is posted to your account at the start of each semester, you earn the funds as you complete the semester. If you withdraw during the semester the amount of Title IV program assistance that you have earned up to that point is determined by a specific formula (known as a Return of Title IV). If you received less assistance than the amount that you earned, you may be able to receive those additional funds. If you received more assistance than you earned, the excess funds must be returned by the school and/or you.

The amount of assistance that you have earned is determined on a pro rata basis. For example, if you completed 30% of your semester, you earn 30% of the assistance you were originally scheduled to receive. Once you have completed more than 60% of the semester, you earn all the assistance that you were scheduled to receive for that semester.

Withdrawal from the College after Deadline

Contact the Registrar to withdraw from classes after the Last Day to Withdraw from Class or Audit (see Academic Calendar).  Students who withdraw after this date for extenuating circumstances will be withdrawn from all of their current semester classes.


Eligibility is based on the following criteria:

  • Students must complete the minimum number of course credit hours prescribed for their program of study.
  • Students must complete a minimum of 25% of their program credit hours at Craven Community College.
  • Students must have a minimum 2.0 cumulative grade point average.
  • Students must complete these requirements within three years after the last term they attended Craven if they intend to transfer credits from another institution to graduate from Craven.
  • Students must settle all financial obligations with the College.

Graduation Application

It is the responsibility of the student to complete the application for graduation. Students will apply for graduation online by accessing the application through the Student Self-Service portal. See the Craven CC Graduation Procedures page for more information and graduation application deadlines.

Students may graduate at the end of the term in which they complete degree requirements. The graduation fee is paid to the Student Accounts Office. All graduation fees are non-refundable. Diplomas and certificates are mailed to the student from one to three weeks after the end of the graduation term.

Graduation Participation Procedure

Craven celebrates graduation with one annual ceremony occurring at the end of the spring term. Students must complete all coursework and graduation requirements by summer of the graduation year to participate in the ceremony. A student anticipating a summer graduation must be within three (3) courses of meeting the graduation requirements in the summer term to participate.

Students may purchase caps and gowns in the campus bookstore.

University Connections: College/University Transfer Options

The University of NC System–The NC Community College System Agreement

Students who complete the Associate in Arts (AA) and Associate in Science (AS) degree programs with each course grade of a C or higher and who are accepted by one of the state universities may enter as a junior. Students transferring prior to the completion of an associate degree may transfer a block of core curriculum courses that UNC institutions will accept as a completion of their lower-division general education requirements. Students transferring to senior institutions, other than those of the University of North Carolina System, should ask for assistance in planning their transfer program.

The Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA) between the University of North Carolina System (UNC-System) and the North Carolina Community College System (NCCCS) guarantees the transfer of courses, that make up Associate in Arts (AA) and Associate in Science (AS) programs, into bachelor degree programs at UNC-System universities.

Individual courses selected from the AA and AS offerings are evaluated by senior institutions on a course-by-course basis. Students wishing to transfer individual courses (not the Universal General Education Transfer Core or the completed degree) are advised to work closely with an academic advisor to select the courses that best suit their educational needs.

The Universal General Education Transfer Core of the AA and the AS degrees (31-34 semester hours) transfers to meet the general education core of the bachelor’s degree, provided a “C” or higher is earned in all transferred classes.

The Associate in Arts or the Associate in Science degree transferred under the CAA guarantees junior status. Requirements for some major programs at the senior institution may require additional pre-specialty courses beyond the general education core. Students will still be required to meet the foreign language and/or health and physical education requirements of the receiving college/university.

The Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA) does NOT guarantee acceptance into any specific college or university. However, completion of the Associate in Arts or the Associate in Science degree under the terms of the CAA does qualify students for admission to a UNC-System school under the Transfer Assured Admissions Policy.

Complete details of the CAA are found at the University of NC System websites.

The Uniform Articulation Agreement between The University of North Carolina Registered Nurse to Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN) Programs and the NC Community College System Associate Degree Nursing Programs promotes a more seamless, concise pathway for students moving from community colleges to public universities. This approval includes a Five Block Degree Plan with Transfer Course List.

Transfer of Community College Coursework to N.C. Private Colleges

In addition to the 16 UNC-System universities that are part of the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA), 25 private NC colleges have created their own Independent Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (ICAA) with the NCCCS. The Admissions Office at the following institutions may be contacted for more information:

Barton Belmont-Abbey
Bennett  Brevard
Campbell    Catawba
Chowan   Gardner-Webb
J.C. Smith Lees-McRae
Livingstone Louisburg
Mars Hill  Meredith
Montreat  Mount Olive
NC Wesleyan Peace
Pfeiffer Queens
St. Andrews St. Augustine
Salem Shaw
Warren Wilson Wingate

The college enters into a variety of bilateral agreements with public and private institutions across the country.

East Carolina University

Partnership Teach at Craven Community College

Craven’s New Bern Campus is the headquarters for Partnership Teach, which serves residents in Craven, Pamlico, Jones, Lenoir, Carteret and Onslow counties.

Through the ECU Partnership Teach Program, students are able to complete their first two years of general education coursework at Craven Community College and then complete the remainder of their teaching degree from ECU. Degrees offered include:

  • BS in Elementary Education
  • BS in Special Education
  • BS in Middle Grades Education

Each program is offered entirely online, and field placements are made within the local area.

Although students will continue to work with their Craven CC advisors until completion of their transfer degrees, students may contact the Partnership Teach Coastal Consortium Coordinator for additional information: 252-638-6492, Business Information Technology Building, Suite 116 (New Bern Campus).

Seamless Transfer and Military Outreach

Students who complete their associate degree with Craven Community College may complete bachelor’s degrees in the following program areas at East Carolina University (ECU):

  • Birth-Kindergarten Education – AAS to BSBK
  • Business – AA to BSBA (entirely online)
  • Business Education – AAS to BSBE (entirely online)
  • Communication – AA to BS (entirely online)
  • Industrial Technology/Industrial Distribution and Logistics – AAS (variety of options) to BS
  • Industrial Technology/Industrial Supervision– AAS (variety of options) to BS
  • Industrial Technology/Information and Computer Technology – AAS (variety of options) to BS
  • Industrial Technology/Manufacturing Systems – AAS (variety of options) to BS
  • Information Technologies – AAS to BSBE (entirely online)
  • Management
  • Management and Information Systems
  • Marketing, Operations, and Supply Chain Management
  • Registered Nurse/Bachelor of Science in
    Nursing – ADN to RN/BSN

Although students will continue to work with their Craven CC advisors until completion of their transfer degree, they may contact the ECU Associate Director for Military Outreach for more information: 252-444-6003/800-398-9275 [The ECU Military Outreach Office, IAT Building, Suite 114 (Havelock Campus)].

North Carolina State University

The NCSU College of Engineering at Craven Community College

In addition to the courses provided in the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA), Craven CC students can earn a bachelor’s degree from the NC State College of Engineering without leaving home. After completing their general education, math, and science courses at Craven Community College, students are able to “transfer” to NCSU through innovative techniques including high-definition interactive video technology, “live” engineering courses on the Craven CC campus, and by utilizing pre-recorded lectures from NCSU professors. Hands-on laboratory experiences are provided on the Havelock campus using state-of-the-art equipment.

Craven’s Havelock campus is the home of NC State’s Mechanical Engineering System BSE program. In the BSE program, students can earn a Bachelor of Science in engineering (BSE) with a concentration in mechanical engineering systems without ever leaving Craven CC.

BSE students take general education, math, and science courses from Craven Community College and engineering courses from NC State. For the engineering courses, students use high-definition interactive video at the Havelock campus to participate in courses taught at the Raleigh campus. In addition, students participate in live courses taught by NC State personnel in Havelock and utilize pre-recorded lectures from NC State professors. Hands-on laboratory experiences are provided in Havelock using state-of-the-art equipment. All BSE courses are sequenced to accommodate the full-time or part-time student attending day or evening classes.

NCSU College of Engineering Transfer

Students seeking other engineering concentrations can complete a 2+2 program and transfer to NCSU to obtain their Baccalaureate degree.

Although Craven CC engineering students will continue to work with their Craven CC advisors until completion of their transfer degree, they may contact the NCSU Engineering Program Coordinator for more information: 252-444-3357 or [The NC State College of Engineering office, Rooms 107 & 108 STEM Center (Havelock Campus)].

Other Engineering Transfer Programs in North Carolina

The 2+2 Engineering Program also provides students with an opportunity to begin at Craven Community College and then transfer to other engineering schools in North Carolina, including UNC-Charlotte, N.C. A&T, or ECU. Students can finish their degree in 2-3 years (pending admission by their respective universities’ College of Engineering).

Southern Illinois University, Carbondale

Craven Community College students can earn a Bachelor of Science Degree in Aviation Management at Southern Illinois University (SIU). Craven CC and SIU have an articulation/partnership agreement. After obtaining their Aviation Systems Technology Degree at Craven CC, students are able to transfer to SIU under the Capstone program for their general education (core curriculum) and their A&P license requirements. Only 48 semester hours of major courses at SIU are required. SIU major courses are offered in an accelerated weekend format. Students may contact the Cherry Point SIU office at 252-447-1688 for more information.

North Carolina Wesleyan College

Craven Community College and North Carolina Wesleyan College have partnered to offer the following baccalaureate degrees to AA, AS, and AAS graduates:

  • Accounting
  • Business Administration
  • Computer Information Systems
  • Criminal Justice
  • Marketing
  • Organizational Administration
  • Political Science
  • Psychology

Classes will be offered seated, hybrid, and online at both the New Bern and Havelock locations.

Although students will continue to work with their Craven CC advisors until completion of their associate degrees, students may contact the North Carolina Wesleyan College Coordinator for additional information: Business Information Technology Building, Suite 116 (New Bern Campus).

The University of Mount Olive

In addition to transfer options for AS and AA degrees, students who have completed the Associate in Applied Science degree (AAS), may transfer up to 64 semester hours toward the Bachelor of Applied Science degree (BAS). Technical program credits earned by students wishing to complete the BA/BS degree will be evaluated on an individual basis. Non-traditional sources of credit are also available and include Credit Through Testing (AP Exams, CLEP Exams, etc.), and Military Training Credit.

Service Member’s Opportunity College

Craven Community College is a member of SOCMAR/ SOCNAV, the degree program for the Marine Corps and Navy, consisting of accredited colleges which offer degree programs on or accessible to Marine Corps and Navy installations worldwide. These civilian colleges accept credits from network colleges, enabling military personnel and their dependents to continue working toward a degree even when transferred. The agreement with the home college provides a plan for program completion and also guarantees that graduation programs will not be changed as long as minimum residency and academic requirements (25% of coursework and 2.0 Grade Point Average) are met. Service members are eligible for a SOC contract after completing six semester hours of college-level coursework.

C-STEP: The Carolina Student Transfer
Excellence Program

The Carolina Student Transfer Excellence Program (C-STEP) is a partnership between Craven Community College and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, made possible by a grant from the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation. The goal of C-STEP is to identify high-achieving, low-to moderate-income high school and college students who would not otherwise attend a selective college or university; to enroll these students in the Associate in Arts/Science program at one of the partnering community colleges; to mentor these students through successful completion of an Associate degree (AA/AS); to transfer these students, as juniors, to UNC-Chapel Hill; and to support their successful completion of a baccalaureate degree. Entry into the program is competitive and is based on both demonstrated financial need and academic excellence. Questions concerning C-STEP should be addressed to the Liberal Arts/University Transfer Office in the BIT building, room 102 252-638-0141.

Other College University Connections

In addition to the courses provided in the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA), transfer opportunities are continuously being developed with other NC Community College System (NCCCS) Programs and baccalaureate/ university programs across the state and throughout the country, with a variety of options provided at the New Bern, Cherry Point and Havelock campuses. For up-to-date information about new and developing articulation agreements, students may contact their advisors, the Student Services Division 252-638-7430, the Cherry Point Branch Office 252-444-6000, and the Havelock Campus 252-444-6005 as well as access the Craven CC website.

Have questions?

We’re here to help.

Contact Us

Required fields are marked with an asterisk '*'.