The Carolina Student Transfer Excellence Program (C-STEP) is a partnership between Craven Community College and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill for high-achieving, low- to moderate-income students who will enroll in an associate in arts/science program with the aim of transferring to UNC-Chapel Hill as juniors with completed associate degrees. Entry into the program is competitive and is based on both demonstrated financial need and academic excellence. Statistics show that transfer students from North Carolina Community Colleges, on average, perform better as juniors than those who enter UNC-Chapel Hill as freshmen.
C-STEP is not a scholarship program. However, C-STEP students are provided exemplary advising, mentoring, and support during their transition and subsequent enrollment at UNC-Chapel Hill. They participate in group activities, trips to UNC, and community service projects during their time at Craven. This ensures that Craven C-STEP students feel academically prepared and engaged in the campus community, as both are strong indicators of student success.
An important consideration for many students interested in transferring to a four-year university is how to pay for their education. Once enrolled at UNC-Chapel Hill, the university attempts to meet 100% of every admitted C-STEP student’s demonstrated financial need through grants, scholarships, loans, and work-study programs. In addition, qualified C-STEP students will be eligible to apply to be Carolina Covenant Scholars, a program that enables students from low socioeconomic backgrounds to graduate with minimal debt from UNC-Chapel Hill.
- Currently enrolled or plans to enroll as an Associate in Arts or Associate in Science degree student at Craven Community College
- Record of strong academic performance
- Demonstration of financial need according to FAFSA
- Completion of all developmental studies requirements
- Commitment to be a full-time student each semester
Fall Application Deadline: October 1, 2022
Spring Application Deadline: April 1, 2023
- Community college candidates who would like to enter UNC-Chapel Hill in Fall 2024 must apply by October 1, 2022
- High school students graduating in the spring, high school seniors with dual enrollment credit (earning 30 hours or less), or community college students with earned college credit (30 hours or less including current semester coursework) must apply by April 1, 2023
In order to be considered, these materials must be received by the deadline for which you are applying:
- Fill out UNC-Chapel Hill’s C-STEP online application. Please include all requested information. If you answer “yes” to any of the community standards questions, please submit an explanation and supporting documentation as requested in the instructions. Please note that we are unable to review incomplete applications that do not include an explanation and support documentation standards incidents.
- Send two electronic letters of recommendation. Letters should be sent in PDF format from your recommender’s email address to firstname.lastname@example.org and should include your full name and date of birth.
- Upload all unofficial copies of transcripts from your graduating high school and all colleges and universities attended. (You must submit transcripts from all post-secondary institutions in which you have enrolled, regardless of whether you completed coursework.)
- Self-report SAT or ACT results (if taken).
Ward Hall, Room 124C
New Bern Campus