In this new scholarship program, the Food Bank of Central & Eastern North Carolina provides education and employment sponsorship for individuals who are unemployed, underemployed, or justice involved through a partnership with Craven Community College. Supported certification programs are Forklift and Truck Driver Training (CDL).
The Food Bank will fund all tuition costs for qualified students seeking to enroll in a CDL or forklift class. In addition, students will be provided with a $200 weekly support scholarship while enrolled in and attending one of the programs. Additional costs associated with the program may also be covered by the scholarship. Some restrictions apply.
Students will also have access to healthy food boxes, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), and other safety net resources. Applications will be reviewed by the Food Bank.
- CDL training or Forklift certification
- Tuition assistance and cost-of-living support
- Weekly healthy food boxes
- Assistance with SNAP, Medicaid, and Energy Assistance enrollment
- Resources for housing, clothing, mental health
- Job readiness and employment support
- Unemployed, underemployed, or justice involved*
- Enrollment with Craven Community College
- Attend orientation session for CDL program
*Justice involved means the student must have been incarcerated at the local, state, or federal level for 30 days or more or placed under probation, parole, or other functionally equivalent active supervision.