The 2014 Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA) is a pact between North Carolina’s university system and its community colleges that provides a smooth transfer of students between the two systems. Students receive the most benefit from transferring the completed associate in arts or associate in science degree but they can also transfer Universal General Education Transfer Courses (UGETC), general education, or some elective courses.

The CAA provides certain assurances to the transferring student:

  • It identifies community college courses that are appropriate for transfer as electives to satisfy the general education core or as pre-professional courses. If taken at a North Carolina community college, these courses will transfer if you complete the course with a grade of C or higher.
  • It guarantees junior status and 60-61 semester hours of credit to transfer students accepted to the university if those students have earned the associate in arts or associate in science degree.
  • It guarantees admission to one of the 16 UNC institutions, although not to a specific campus or to a specific program or major. Details of this guarantee are explained in the Transfer Assured Admission Policy (TAAP) below.

Schools that Honor the CAA

All 16 UNC-System universities are part of the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement. Get a more in-depth look at each school’s degree plans.

Transfer Assured Admissions Policy (TAAP)

The CAA assures admission to one of the 16 UNC institutions with the following stipulations:

  • Admission is not assured to a specific campus or to a specific program or major.
  • Students must have graduated from a North Carolina Community College with an associate in arts or associate in science degree.
  • Students must meet all requirements of the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement.
  • Students must have an overall GPA of at least 2.0 on a 4.0 scale, as calculated by the college from which he or she graduated, and a grade of C or better in all CAA courses.
  • Students must be academically eligible for re-admission to the last institution attended.
  • Students must meet judicial requirements of the institution to which the student applies.
  • Students must meet all application requirements at the receiving institution, including the submission of all required documentation by stated deadlines.

If a student is denied admission to a UNC institution, he or she will receive a letter from that institution directing the student to the College Foundation of North Carolina (CFNC) website, where the student will be presented with the conditions of the TAAP. If these conditions are met, the student will be given information regarding space availability and contacts within the UNC system. The student should contact those institutions to get specific information about admissions and available majors.

In the rare instance that the previous steps do not result in admission to a UNC institution, the student should contact the CFNC Resource Center at 1-866-866-CFNC.

Please note the TAAP policy does not apply to the private colleges and universities that are part of the CAA.

Transfer Associate in Fine Arts Degrees

The Associate in Fine Arts (AFA) in Visual Arts and Associate in Fine Arts (AFA) in Music degrees are designed to transfer into Bachelor of Fine Arts programs (BFA) in art or music. The community college student in an AFA program who satisfactorily completes, with a grade of C or better, all courses designed for college transfer will receive credit for these courses. However, not all UNC-System universities have BFA degrees, so they may transfer specialized art or music courses as elective credits. AFA students who transfer must meet the general education requirements of the receiving university. Universities may require additional courses to meet the admissions criteria for schools of art or music or to be considered a junior in a BFA program.

Transfer Applied Science or General Education Degrees

The best choice for a smooth articulation with the university is an AA or AS degree. Applied Science or General Education degrees have different mixes of general education, elective, and major courses, which make them less easy to articulate with senior-level institutions. Students who complete Applied Science and General Education degrees do transfer, but that is not the intent of these programs, and the articulation is not as smooth as with AA and AS degrees.

Articulation Agreement with Private Colleges and Universities

As of August 23, 2018, 30 private colleges and universities in North Carolina have signed the Independent Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (ICAA) with the NCCCS.  The ICAA enables North Carolina community college graduates of two-year Associate in Arts (AA) and Associate in Science (AS) degree programs who are admitted to a Signatory Institution of North Carolina Independent Colleges and Universities to transfer with junior status if they follow the senior institution’s published baccalaureate degree completion plans and meet other established criteria.  Colleges and universities who have signed the ICAA are as follows:

  • Barton College
  • Belmont Abbey College
  • Bennett College
  • Brevard College
  • Campbell University
  • Catawba College
  • Chowan University
  • Gardner-Webb University
  • Greensboro College
  • Guilford College
  • High Point University
  • Johnson C. Smith University
  • Lees-McRae College
  • Lenoir-Rhyne University
  • Livingstone College
  • Mars Hill University
  • Meredith College
  • Methodist University
  • Montreat College
  • North Carolina Wesleyan College
  • Pfeiffer University
  • Queens University of Charlotte
  • Saint Augustine’s University
  • Salem College
  • Shaw University
  • St. Andrews University
  • University of Mount Olive
  • Warren Wilson College
  • William Peace University
  • Wingate University

Minimum Course Requirements

The University of North Carolina provides system-wide minimum admission requirements as guidelines to help future students and advisors determine if applicants are ready to meet the challenge of a four-year degree program, or if they might benefit from more preparatory work at a community college before transferring into the UNC System.

As a mechanism for predicting student success, the UNC System’s minimum admission requirements take into consideration three key measurements of students’ previous achievement: high school courses, high school grade point average (GPA), and test scores. Minimum admission requirements do not guarantee admission to any specific university or program. Admission to individual institutions and to some academic programs within institutions may be more competitive and may demand additional requirements beyond the general minimums listed.

Students who wish to transfer to one of the 16 public universities in North Carolina may always find up to date information at the University of North Carolina System Office website

Additional Information

For more detailed information about the CAA, visit:

Contact Information

Liberal Arts and University Transfer
Bate Hall
New Bern Campus

Have questions?

We’re here to help.

Contact Us

Required fields are marked with an asterisk '*'.