Several grants and loan opportunities may be available to you as a Craven Community College student. If you’re not sure which programs are best suited for your needs, be sure to contact the Financial Aid office for more information.

Federal Pell Grant Program

The Pell Grant is the federal government’s largest aid program and is awarded to students who demonstrate financial need, have not earned a bachelor’s degree, and meet the federal eligibility requirements. Pell Grants do not have to be repaid as long as you attend your classes for the enrollment period. Apply for this grant by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Once you have received a Pell Grant for 12 full-time semesters, or the equivalent, you will no longer be eligible for additional Pell Grants. This loss of Pell Grant eligibility is not appealable. If you are attending less than 12 credit hours, the Pell Grant amount will be reduced according to the number of hours attending.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) program awards grants to students who demonstrate the most need. Priority is given to Pell Grant recipients. This grant does not have to be repaid.

North Carolina Community College Grant

The North Carolina Community College Grant is a need-based grant established to help meet the educational costs of NC residents attending community colleges. To be eligible, you must be a North Carolina resident, be enrolled at least half time (6 credit hours), be enrolled in an eligible curriculum program, meet the satisfactory academic progress requirements, and meet the Federal Pell eligibility requirements (except for the EFC requirement).

This award will be adjusted according to the number of credit hours attended. This grant does not have to be repaid. To qualify, you must complete the FAFSA by the published deadline and list a North Carolina Community College as one of your top three choices of institutions. Annual awards will be made based on your established need and enrollment status. If you’re enrolled in 15 or more credit hours, you will receive the full-time plus award amount, and if you’re enrolled in less than 15 hours, you will receive reduced aid.

North Carolina Education Lottery Scholarship

The North Carolina Education Lottery Scholarship program provides need-based financial assistance to students attending eligible colleges and universities located within the state of North Carolina. An applicant must 1) be a North Carolina resident for tuition purposes; 2) meet all eligibility requirements for a Federal Pell grant (EFC requirement); and 3) enroll for at least 6 credit hours per semester as an undergraduate student in a degree, certificate, or diploma program. Award amounts vary according to information that is generated from the FAFSA; award amounts will be prorated for recipients enrolled less than full time.

Federal Work-Study Program

The Federal Work-Study (FWS) Program provides part-time employment opportunities to eligible students to assist with costs of post-secondary education. FWS positions can provide students with training and experience in a chosen field, an opportunity to boost their resume, and help with identifying career options all while working around class schedules.

Eligibility is based on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). 

The current pay rate for Regular FWS is $12/hour. For Community Service FWS, the pay rate is $14/hour.

Step #1 - Complete the corresponding year’s FAFSA. If you need assistance with this, please schedule a 1-hour complete FAFSA appointment. View the Financial Aid eligibility requirements.

Step #2 - Ensure all of your general admission requirements are complete.

Step # - Review the available FWS positions and apply.

Step #4 - Complete the FWS online orientation; link will be provided via Craven CC student email upon completion of application.

Step #5 - Interview for FWS position and complete paperwork if selected.

Step #6 - Start your FWS position!

If you have any questions, please email for assistance.

Jim Wrenn Emergency Loan Fund

Our college has been given funds over the years to use as educational loans for students in emergency situations. To quality, you must be, or have the intent to be, enrolled at least half time in a degree, certificate, or diploma program. You cannot be admitted as special or provisional, and you must have a cumulative GPA of no less than a 2.0 or a cumulative 2.0 average from high school or other colleges attended. You must sign a promissory note and make satisfactory arrangements with the Financial Aid office for repayment. This is a short-term loan (90 days or less) and must be repaid before the student can register for a subsequent term.

Childcare Program

We understand that going to school when you have children can be challenging and expensive. That’s why we offer funds for student parents to help afford child care while attending class.

Childcare applications will be available on July 1 each year. The Financial Aid office will accept applications two months prior to the beginning of the fall and spring semesters. The North Carolina General Assembly appropriates funds for childcare services for student parents in community colleges, which is approved for one semester at the time. Single parents receive first priority.

Applicants must have demonstrated financial need; be enrolled at least half time in a college transfer, technical, or vocational degree or diploma program at Craven Community College; and be willing to complete a FAFSA. Applicants must not be receiving childcare funds from the Department of Social Services, and care must be provided by a legal childcare provider.

If you’re interested, you must complete a Childcare Program application and submit a copy of your notification from the Department of Social Services documenting your application status. You must also maintain satisfactory academic progress.

If awarded, you will be notified by email to schedule an appointment with the Childcare Coordinator to review the award and sign the agreement forms.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Financial Aid at 252-638-7211.

Have questions?

We’re here to help.

Contact Us

Required fields are marked with an asterisk '*'.