The overall purpose of the College’s mission and vision is to guide staff and faculty toward the improvement of educational opportunity and service to the citizens of Craven County. This ongoing task is realized through a strategic plan that incorporates information and ideas contributed by constituent groups within the College, as well as external stakeholders and community leaders.
Our Mission 2017-2022
Craven Community College has developed and adopted the following mission statement and vision for 2017-2022:
Craven Community College is a dynamic and responsive institution of higher education committed to improving and enriching individual lives and society through comprehensive, high quality and accessible learning opportunities that allow students to contribute and compete in a diverse and global community. We provide:
- Education, training, and retraining for the workforce, including basic skills and literacy education, occupational and pre-baccalaureate programs;
- Support for economic development through services to and in partnership with business and industry; and
- Services to communities and individuals which improve the quality of life.
The College Fulfills Its Mission Through:
Adult General, Basic and Secondary Education
- Courses and services for students who desire to complete a high school equivalency credential or improve their adult basic education, literacy, and English language skills, or for enrolled high school students seeking acceleration opportunities
Cultural, Citizenship, and Community Enrichment
- Activities, services, group travel, and special projects in response to cultural needs and quality of life interests of community populations and for the leisure enjoyment and enrichment of adults and youth served
College Readiness Studies
- Courses and services for students in need of further growth and development of academic and basic skills preparation for acceptance into a curriculum and to succeed in college programs
Economic/Workforce Development Education and Special Training
- Customized courses specifically designed for, and in collaboration with, business, industry, and the military, including workforce readiness, job enhancement, and technical skill development
Career and Technical Education
- Programs, courses, and services for students who plan to enter the workforce or upgrade their career training, professional skills, and work performance
- Programs and services to support and enhance student academic, career, and personal skill development and growth, and assure success for diverse and ever-changing student populations
- Programs and coursework for the freshman and sophomore years of an undergraduate education for students who plan to continue studies toward the baccalaureate or pursue postsecondary liberal arts studies
The Craven Community College Board of Trustees (BOT) adopted the mission statement and core values in April 2011 and revised the mission statement in February 2016. The Strategic Goals 2017-2022 was adopted by the BOT in January 2017.
We are Craven County’s first choice for teaching and learning.