Several educational and financial assistance opportunities are available to active duty, veterans, and military dependents. Connect with the benefits you’ve earned and let us serve you with specialized advising, program opportunities, and more.   

Getting Started

Navigating all of the options available to military families and veterans can be complicated. To make sure you’re marching forward on the correct path, you’ll want to determine what options are available for your specific situation.

Choose your path to get started:

Military Student Checklist

There are several important steps to complete before you can utilize the military benefits that are available. Review the checklists below to ensure you have taken the necessary steps.

New Military Students

If you are an active duty student planning to use tuition assistance (TA), please begin with Step 3 of this checklist. If you are an active duty dependent, veteran, or veteran dependent student who is not using veteran benefits, please begin with Step 4 of this checklist.

  1. Meet with our Veterans Affairs (VA) School Certifying Official on the New Bern campus (Barker Hall, Suite 109) or the Havelock campus (Redd Building, Suite 101) to complete the VA Memorandum of Understanding.
  2. If you are using VA benefits, apply for education benefits at
  3. If you are an active duty student, you will need to see your base education office before you can begin the admissions process.
  4. Complete the application for determination of residency for tuition purposes.
  5. Apply to Craven Community College online.
  6. Apply for financial aid. This can be a lengthy process, so be sure to do this right after applying.
  7. Schedule a placement test. You may be required to take the placement test unless you are waived from having to take them. For more details, contact the Admissions Office on our New Bern campus at 252-638-7200 or by email, Havelock campus at 252-444-6003 or by email, or MCAS Cherry Point office at 252-444-6000.
  8. Request to have all official high school and post-secondary transcripts sent to:

Craven Community College
Student Records
800 College Court
New Bern, NC 28562

  1. If you have served in the Army, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, or Navy, request to have your official Joint Service Transcripts (JST) sent to us. Register for an account and then request that an official copy be sent to us at the address below.

If you have served in the Air Force, please go to Air University to request that a copy of your transcript be sent to:

Craven Community College
Student Records
800 College Court
New Bern, NC 28562

  1. Register for Student Orientation. All new students are required to attend a student orientation session.
  2. Register for classes with an Academic Advisor. If you are using TA or MyCAA benefits, please inform your advisor.
  3. Submit your class schedule to a VA School Certifying Official at our New Bern campus (Barker Hall, Suite 109), Havelock campus (Redd Building, Suite 101), or our MCAS Cherry Point office (Jerry Marvel Training and Education, room 120). Call the Student Accounts office at 252-638-7268 and they will hold your classes if using TA, CH33 or CH31 only.

Continuing Military Students

If you’re currently a veteran student, follow the steps below to continue your education.

  1. Enroll in classes. Your classes must follow the degree plan you have specified with the VA.
  2. Provide the VA School Certifying Official with a copy of your current schedule. This needs to be completed every semester to receive your VA benefits.
  3. If you are receiving benefits under Chapters 30, 1606, and 1607, you are required to verify your enrollment every month. This can be done by calling 1-877-823-2378 or going to the WAVE system.

Testing Services

We have partnered with the Marine Corps Community Services (MCCS) Education Program to open a National Testing Center (NTC) aboard MCAS Cherry Point Air Station, which offers convenient and cost-effective testing services to military personnel, family members, students, and civilians associated with the base.

Whether you are active duty, active duty dependent, veteran, or veteran dependent, we are committed to providing you with quality assistance and guidance throughout your academic career.

All veteran and dependent students (using the GI Bill®) have several steps to take when applying for and using veterans’ educational benefits. The steps differ for first-time users and continuing students.

To learn more about our testing center and which tests are available, visit our Testing Center page

Helpful Links

Contact Information

Military Resources
Redd Building
Havelock Campus

Military Friendly (R) Schools silver '22-23 logo small

Have questions?

We’re here to help.

Contact Us

Required fields are marked with an asterisk '*'.