There are several requirements you must meet to be eligible to apply for financial assistance. Those requirements are as follows:

  • You are a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen
  • You are enrolled as a regular student in an eligible course of study
  • You maintain satisfactory academic progress as defined by our Financial Aid office
  • You demonstrate a financial need according to each program’s criteria and complete necessary forms
  • You do not owe a refund to the Pell Grant or the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, and you are not in default of any student loan
  • You must have a Social Security number
  • You must have a high school diploma or GED

Dependency Status

When you apply for federal student aid, your answers to certain questions will determine whether you are considered a dependent of your parent(s). If you are a dependent, you must report their income and assets as well as your own. If you are independent, you must report only your own income and assets (and those of your spouse if you are married).

You are an independent student if at least one of the following applies to you:

  • You are at least 24
  • You are married
  • You are enrolled in a graduate or professional educational program
  • You have legal dependents other than a spouse
  • You are an orphan or ward of the court (or were a ward of the court until age 18)
  • You are a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces
  • You are currently serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces for purposes other than training
  • You are an emancipated minor
  • You are or have been in legal guardianship
  • You are homeless or at risk of homelessness

Note: If you consider yourself to be an independent student but you do not meet any of the above conditions, you must contact Financial Aid to discuss your situation.

Have questions?

We’re here to help.

Contact Us

Required fields are marked with an asterisk '*'.