Our College & Career Readiness (CCR) department has a variety of programs that specialize in improving adult literacy skills, obtaining a high school equivalency (GED®/HiSET®), completing your high school diploma, learning English as a Second Language, and educating adults with mild learning disabilities.

Adult Basic Education

  • Prepares students to enter one of the high school equivalency programs
  • Provides instruction for improvement in reading, writing, and math
  • Serves students with intellectual disabilities
  • Offers classes at both the New Bern and Havelock campuses and other locations across Craven County

High School Equivalency

Finish your goal of becoming a high school graduate with our adult high school diploma program, or the GED®/HiSET®. Opportunities in these programs include:

  • Completion of remaining high school credits and earn the North Carolina Adult High School Diploma
  • Earn a North Carolina High School Diploma Equivalency by passing the GED® four-part test (social studies, science, language, and math) or the HiSET® five-part test (social studies, science, language, math, and writing)
  • Recognized by most colleges, government agencies, and employers
  • Offered on both the New Bern and Havelock Campuses

Transitions Academy

The Transitions Academy provides adults with mild intellectual disabilities the opportunity to continue their education by improving their reading, writing, math, and technological skills while preparing for the world of work or other appropriate post-secondary programs. 

English as a Second Language (ESL)

Non-native English speakers can utilize the English as a Second Language (ESL) program to speak, read, and write the English language to help with proficiency in community, social, business, and employment or post-secondary educational settings. Students interested in attending ESL classes should call 252-638-4755 for registration information.

Family Literacy

Our Family Literacy program provides educational opportunities to children and adults by integrating adult basic education, parenting education, and early childhood education. It is a high-quality, intensive, and instructional program which promotes adult literacy and helps parents support the educational growth of their children. You can also get help completing a North Carolina High School Diploma Equivalency, as well as ESL classes if needed. The program is free and includes transportation, childcare, breakfast, and lunch. Locations for this program may vary.

Digital Literacy

More than ever, computer skills are key to socializing and maintaining contact with your friends and family. Our new Digital Literacy class is offered at no charge and all materials—including access to computers—will be provided. Call 252-638-7265 to enroll today!

  • Learn how to communicate through email and social media
  • Safely browse the internet
  • Discover various internet uses (shopping, paying bills, video calls)
  • Help children or grandchildren with online schoolwork
  • Learn to use Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint

Additional Information

CCR programs are intended for adult learners who are 18 years or older. However, 16- and 17-year-olds may receive program services with the approval of their legal guardian and a release from the local school system. The CCR permission forms must be completed and notarized. They can be found below under “Special Permission to Attend Craven Community College” or in the College & Career Readiness office. Services cannot be provided to a minor until the required paperwork has been successfully completed.

Once the completed paperwork has been received, the student may sign up for a mandatory testing and orientation session. The student may enroll in classes once they have completed testing and orientation.

You will need to follow the instructions below and complete the Basic Skills Special Permission Forms

  • Craven County Students: Return to the last school you attended and request an Alternative Education Referral Form. The form should be signed by the school Principal and Counselor, and then taken to the Craven County Board of Education to be signed by the Superintendent or his/her designee. Lastly, the form is to be signed by the parent or legal guardian and notarized. You must also complete the Basic Skills Application for Minors and the Basic Skills Conduct Guidelines pages of the minor enrollment packet.
  • North Carolina Students from outside of Craven County or Private School Students: Request the Basic Skills Special Permission Forms. Then, have them signed by the school Principal and the Superintendent or his/her designee. The forms will also need to be signed by the parent of legal guardian and notarized.
  • Homeschooled Students: Request the Basic Skills Special Permission Forms. Then, have them signed by the parent or legal guardian and notarized. Attach a copy of the state approval for the home school program issued by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction, and certify the student has not been enrolled in any NC public school for the past six months.
  • Out-of-State Students: Parent or legal guardian must complete and notarize the Basic Skills Special Permission Forms if the student has never been enrolled in the North Carolina Public School System.
  • Emancipated Minors: An emancipated minor is a person under the age of 18 who has complete responsibility for him/herself. Admission requirements for an emancipated minor are the same as for an applicant 17 years of age or older. Proof of status is required and determined in the following ways:
    • Marriage certificate/I.D.
    • Legal document from the court system

Without legal documentation, the student will be subject to the standard admissions procedures for minors. You must complete the Basic Skills Special Permission Forms.

Contact Information

College & Career Readiness
Ward Hall, Room 119
New Bern Campus

Have questions?

We’re here to help.

Contact Us

Required fields are marked with an asterisk '*'.