Disability Accommodations – Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
If you believe that disability-related issues have affected or may affect your academic progress, you may voluntarily supply documentation about the disability and its specific impact on your educational experiences. If you supply such documentation, we will keep it confidential and use it only as part of our efforts to increase access by individuals with disabilities in accordance with ADA mandates. If you choose not to supply this information, you will not be eligible for accommodations.
NOTE: Select Student Request for Disability Accommodations (PDF) to download the Student Request for Disability Accommodations Form.
Process for Receiving Disability Accommodations
- When you begin at Craven, you will speak with an admissions counselor to enter a curriculum or to a member of the Basic Skills team when entering the GED or Adult High School Diploma (AHSD) program.
- At this initial meeting, you may request a Student Request for Accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act Form.
- Select Student Request for Disability Accommodations (PDF) to download the Student Request for Disability Accommodations Form.
- This Student Request for Accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act form must be filled out completely and sent or taken to the office of the ADA Coordinator in the Student Center Room 121. This form must be accompanied by documentation to support your request such as a psychological evaluation, a letter from a doctor, or other medical evidence not more than three years old. An Individual Educational Plan (I.E.P.) from high school is not sufficient documentation.
- The Disability Services Team will confirm that all documentation is complete and that you are qualified for services.
- If the documentation is complete, the ADA Coordinator works with the college contacts to provide the requested accommodations.
- Director of Academic Skills Center for curriculum students in New Bern. 252-638-7294
- Director of Basic Skill Programs for GED/AHSD in New Bern. 252-638-1587
- Manager of Academic Skills at Havelock for curriculum and Basic Skills students in Havelock. 252-444-0707 When the ADA Coordinator deems it necessary, the academic deans will be contacted and the student’s instructors will become involved in the process of determining the best way to provide access.
- You will receive either a letter/e-mail or telephone call from the contact person to set up an appointment to discuss your accommodation needs. An accommodation form will be completed by the ADA Coordinator and signed by you.
- You will take the accommodation forms to your instructors. The instructor will sign the form, and the original will be returned to the ADA Coordinator.
- If you have any questions or concerns, please speak with the contact person for your area.
The ADA Coordinator for Craven Community College is Jennifer Bumgarner. She can be reached at (252) 514-6715 or email@example.com via email.