TRiO consists of eight educational opportunity programs funded by the Department of Education to provide motivation and support for traditionally underrepresented students within the arena of higher education. Student Support Services is one of those eight programs.
TRiO Student Support Services at Craven Community College encourages academic excellence and student success by providing intrusive and proactive academic services designed to empower students to address and overcome access challenges to higher education and gain an understanding of how to be successful in the college environment. The program focuses on meaningful and continual educational planning, goal setting initiatives that position students for transfer/graduation pathways and career success. TRiO is funded to serve 186 participants each year.
TRiO Student Support Services at Craven Community College is committed to creating and maintaining a supportive environment for low income, first generation and disabled students that encourages academic excellence & integrity, student success, and individual responsibility through leadership and service.
Eligibility for TRiO Student Support Services is determined by federal regulations.
Students must be:
- Highly motivated to graduate from Craven and/or transfer to a 4-year institution.
- Committed to their academic success.
- Enrolled as a student in a program of study at Craven Community College.
- First generation college student – OR – Meet federal income guidelines – OR – Have a documented disability.
TRiO Program Services
The TRiO Student Support Services program consists of several key components:
- Academic, Career & Personal Advising
- Financial Literacy, FAFSA Assistance & Scholarships
- Tutoring & Supplemental Instruction
- Transfer Assistance & College campus visits
- Admission & Financial Aid planning for transferring from Craven to a 4 year institution
All services are provided at no cost to TRiO SSS students
To apply for the TRiO Student Support Services program, complete and submit the TRiO Application Form. Once submitted, you will be contacted by the a member of the TRIO team to schedule an appointment with the Director of the Program. You may also obtain and/or complete an application by visiting a TRiO Student Support Services Office.
Financial Aid Resources
Academic & Learning Support Resources
Craven Community College
800 College Court
New Bern, NC 28562
Office: Student Center, Room C117
Donna Marshall, Director
Camille Cooper, Academic Support Coordinator
Philly Solano, Instructional Support Coordinator
Eric Sexton, Administrative Assistant