A Physical Therapist Assistant (PTA) is a health care provider working under the direction of a Physical Therapist. The PTA is involved in the treatment of individuals with muscular, skeletal, cardiopulmonary, and nervous system disorders. The PTA may also be involved in injury prevention or programs specifically targeted toward individual or group wellness. The PTA is able to provide physical therapy services as specified in a care plan developed by a Physical Therapist. Treatment program implementation may include therapeutic exercise, ambulation training, activities of daily living, and administration of physical agents such as heat and cold.
Application Dates for Fall 2020 Admission
February 1 through April 30, 2020
Physical Therapist Assistant is a selective admission program. The college accepts a cohort of 20 students into the PTA program each Fall.
Application requirements for Fall 2020 must be met by May 31, 2020
To qualify, an applicant must:
- Applicants must complete all developmental requirements to be eligible to take ENG 111, BIO 168, & MAT 110.
- Complete Chemistry at the high school level or collegiate level with a C or better.
- Cumulative GPA of 2.5 unweighted (not rounded).
- Possess a high school diploma or G.E.D.
- Acceptance to the program based on current criteria.
- Complete at least 20 total hours of observation, as a volunteer, with a licensed Physical Therapist or PTA, in two different types of physical therapy settings, and submit documentation, in a sealed envelope, verifying the observation hours no later than April 30, 2020.
- **Testing extended through June 19, 2020. Applicants will be required to take the TEAS Test (Test of Essential Academic Skills) during the months of March, April, or May. Applicants will receive TEAS Test information from the Admissions Specialist once the application has been processed and all supporting documents is on file at Craven Community College. Information regarding the TEAS Test can be found at ATI Testing. Applicants must meet all five benchmarks:
- Total Score 65%
- Reading 50%
- Math 60%
- Science 60%
- English 50%
Complete a general application to Craven Community College.
Follow the instructions that you receive in a return email from Admissions to confirm your intent to enroll. You will receive a letter from the Admissions staff with your Craven Community College student ID number and instructions for accessing your Craven Community College student Email, and accessing WebAdvisor, Craven’s student web portal.
Complete the Physical Therapist Assistant admission application. The Physical Therapist Assistant admission application for Fall 2020 application will open in February 1, 2020 through April 30, 2020.
Applications to the Physical Therapy Assistant Program are evaluated and scored using the Physical Therapist Assistant Admission Rating Worksheet.
Successful completion of all general education courses with a C or greater and all PTA courses with a B or greater in the required semester as identified by the PTA Plan of Study is required before physical therapist assistant students may progress to the next semester.
Current PTA Student Resources
The Physical Therapist Assistant program at Craven Community College is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE), 1111 North Fairfax Street, Alexandria, Virginia 22314; telephone: (703)706-3245; email:firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hospitals | Clinics | Home Health Care Agencies | Nursing Homes | Private Practice | Schools
Daniel Friedlander, PTA Program Director
Aileen Will, Admissions Specialist for Health Programs