Applicants who do not wish to pursue a particular program of study will be admitted as Visiting/Special Credit (non-degree seeking) students. These students are often enrolled for the purpose of transferring courses to another college/university, gaining special skills, or for personal enrichment. A Special Credit student does not intend to complete a degree, diploma, or certificate from Craven Community College. Special Credit students are required to complete the Residency Determination (RDS) interview process and an Application for Admission.
Prerequisite requirements for courses are the SAME for both degree seeking and special credit students. If the courses in which the student plans to enroll have prerequisites, documentation that the prerequisites have been met must be provided prior to enrolling. The prerequisite requirements must be successfully completed at your institution with a grade of “C” or better. You may do this by:
- Submitting official or unofficial college transcripts (Note: official transcripts are not required.)
- Submitting satisfactory placement test scores for developmental courses
Your college/university may also require a Visiting Student Letter to ensure the course will transfer
To determine if a course has a prerequisite, look up the prerequisite by following the steps below:
- Visit WebAdvisor (you are not required to login)
- Click on Prospective Students
- Click on Search for Sections
- Indicate the term you wish to search
- Indicate the course subject (ex:ENG) and the course number (if known)
- Click Submit
- You may view the course prerequisite by clicking on the course title
In order to register for a course, Email Special Students indicating the course subject, course number, and course section. Also, please include the transcript in PDF format showing the completed course prerequisite.
Please be aware that while Special Credit students are not eligible to receive federal Financial Aid, scholarships may be available if the FAFSA is complete.