We recognize that balancing college life along with a military career and personal responsibilities can be extremely challenging. We are happy to assist you in handling these challenges and helping you make the most out of your college education.

If you are a veteran or veteran dependent, please visit our Military Resources page to get started on the path that fits your needs.

Schedule an Appointment

Navigating your benefits can be complicated and we are here to help. Make an appointment with one of our knowledgeable military advisors for assistance with advising, registering for classes, tuition assistance, and more.

Tuition and Residency for Active Duty

Many active duty military students are eligible for military tuition assistance (TA). For more information regarding TA benefits, contact your Base/Post Education Office.

Craven Community College accepts TA as a form of payment. Active duty military based in North Carolina qualify for the in-state tuition rate. TA covers 100% of the tuition. Active duty military members are exempt from paying most student fees with the exception of the technology, lab, summer supply fee, and distance education fees (if applicable). All other fees are exempt for active duty military personnel.

In-State and Out-of-State Tuition Rates

Active duty military based in North Carolina and their family members are eligible for the in-state tuition rate. Active duty military and their dependents continue paying in-state tuition if they transfer to another duty station as long as there is no break in their enrollment with Craven and they provide a copy of their orders before checking out of their current duty station. Students who are not legal residents of North Carolina and who do not qualify for the in-state rates must pay the out-of-state tuition rate.

Specialized Classes

We offer class sessions several different ways to accommodate our active duty military students:

  • Traditional 16-week classes (Fall and Spring semesters)
  • Accelerated 8-week classes (two 8-week terms per semester) – Accelerated sessions are the same classes offered on New Bern and Havelock campuses during the 16-week semester
  • Online classes (8- and 16-week format)
  • Lunchtime classes – Held from 11:40 a.m. until 12:55 p.m. at the Jerry W. Marvel Training Building (Bldg. 4335) on MCAS Cherry Point

Schedules are available on our website approximately six weeks prior to the beginning of each semester.

Active Duty Student FAQ

The North Carolina Community College System provides quality education at affordable prices. Individuals pay a technology fee rate if enrolled in more than four semester hours. Active duty military students are exempt from paying student fees, but you will need to purchase the appropriate books for your courses.

Please refer to our Tuition and Fees for the current tuition rates and fee information.

Tuition assistance is provided for active duty military students and monitored through the base education office.

Most active duty military members are eligible for military tuition assistance (TA). However, the Department of Defense has placed certain requirements and restrictions on TA, such as:

  • You cannot receive TA for a course that you have previously taken
  • If you have an associate degree, TA does not pay for other courses at that level unless it is job related
  • Contact your Base Education Officer for current eligibility requirements

A family member cannot use your tuition assistance. However, family members pay in-state tuition and may be able to use your veteran benefits. Also, if you are a family member of a deceased active duty service member or retired veteran, you may be eligible for certain dependent benefits.

If you fall into one of these categories, we recommend you contact your local Veterans Affairs (VA) office or view the VA website.

Yes. However, keep in mind that both are federal programs and neither program is designed to cover all of your expenses. We recommend all individuals complete the Federal Financial Aid (FAFSA). Check with your military center to see if there are any restrictions.

Please request your military transcript be forwarded to Craven Community College:

Craven Community College
Office of Admissions
800 College Court
New Bern, NC 28562

After completing an evaluation, non-traditional work that has been earned may be converted and entered onto a college transcript once you:

  1. Complete the Admissions process
  2. Complete one course with Craven Community College

If you need to withdraw from a class, the withdrawal must be completed with Craven and the Military Education Office.

If you withdraw for military reasons, TA benefits may be recouped or waived. If you withdraw for personal reasons, you will need to contact the Military Education Office personnel for procedures for repayment. All information and transactions occur through the Military Education Office.

CLEP and DANTES exams are free to active duty military personnel at the military education site, but only for the first attempt of the examinations. You may take these tests and college credit will be considered. There is no penalty if you do not pass them. It’s a great opportunity to save time and money.

For a listing of CLEP, DANTES, and other standardized exams, please view Credit by Examination.

Certifications and professional licensure exams are provided at the military education site. For test availability and online registration, please go to www.pearsonvue.com/military.

For additional information on CLEP/DANTES/Pearson Vue, please contact our National Testing Center Site Manager at 252-444-6000.

For instructions on taking CLEP or DANTES exam, please refer to our Testing Centers page.

Craven Community College has qualified personnel who can help you determine your educational goals. Contact us at 252-444-6002 or 252-444-6012 and we can assist you in your career planning.

In the event that an active duty student is reassigned outside of North Carolina or retires, the student will continue to be eligible for the in-state tuition rate and applicable mandatory fees so long as they are continuously enrolled in the degree or other program in which they were enrolled at the time of reassignment.

In the event that the active duty student receives an honorable discharge from military service, the student will continue to be eligible for the in-state tuition rate and applicable mandatory fees so long as they establish residency in North Carolina within 30 days after the discharge and are continuously enrolled in the degree or other program in which they were enrolled at the time of discharge. This benefit is also provided to dependents as described above.

Military One Source provides information about attending college, as well as a variety of other resources for military family members.

Spouses can also contact their local Military Education Office to obtain a variety of information and services available. For additional information, visit CareerOneStop.

Contact Information

Military Resources
Redd Building
Havelock Campus

Military Friendly (R) Schools silver '22-23 logo small

Have questions?

We’re here to help.

Contact Us

Required fields are marked with an asterisk '*'.