At Craven Community College, we believe education is more than just a classroom experience. We offer dozens of hands-on training and learning opportunities across a multitude of subjects that connect your interests with real-world opportunities. Several of our programs can lead directly to local employment offers.
The practical experience you gain will give you more confidence in your abilities and add to your marketability when seeking jobs. You’ll also connect with many local businesses that could be potential employers, the majority of which are looking for students with a real-world understanding of their field.
Below are some examples of functional training and learning opportunities we provide through collaborations with local businesses and organizations:
- Our BSH Home Appliances Apprenticeship program prepares students for occupations in BSH’s advanced manufacturing facility, and students ultimately complete our Mechatronics Engineering Technology program.
- Our Manufacturing Fast Track provides hands-on training for local manufacturers BSH Home Appliances, Moen, and Dradura. At the program conclusion, students get to interview with the program’s respective business partner.
- Our partnership with CarolinaEast Medical Center provides hands-on nursing training and aims to produce highly skilled healthcare workers who go on to work in a professional hospital environment that offers superior patient care. Read more:
- Students in our Computer-Aided Drafting and Composites programs utilized the college’s 3-D printing and CNC labs to help restore a historic clock located in the North Carolina History Center at Tryon Palace. Read more:
- For their capstone projects, students in our NC State Mechanical Engineering Systems program are often asked to tackle real-world problems presented by Fleet Readiness Center East aboard Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point.
- Our Carpentry program works closely with Habitat for Humanity of Craven County to train volunteers that help build local Habitat houses.
- Students in our Information Technology programs compete annually in the National Cyber League competition.
- Students in our Cosmetology, Esthetics, and Barbering programs get hands-on, real-world experience through personal care services offered on our New Bern campus.
- Students in our Transitions Academy are responsible for the upkeep of the college’s greenhouse and periodically sell plants to the community. Read more:
- Our Federal Work Study Program provides qualified students with work experience and familiarizes them with an office environment while still in college.
Real-World Training with Experienced Instructors
Our training programs are led by instructors with years of experience in their fields. This means you’ll be gaining practical knowledge from people who can give you useable skills to help you succeed. Some examples include:
- Our Aviation program instructors are experienced military and commercial pilots.
- Our Esthetics Technology program instructor is the owner of a successful local spa.
- Our Barbering Concepts program instructor is the owner of a successful local barbershop and employs students who graduate from the program.
- Our Criminal Justice program is led by a former police officer and detective.
- Our Law Enforcement Training programs are led by experienced law enforcement officers, including one who currently serves as a local police chief.
- Our Welding programs are led by instructors who are Certified Welding Inspectors and currently work in the welding industry.