Please note: The application deadline has passed, and applications will no longer be accepted.
The Golden LEAF Foundation makes scholarships available to students from qualifying counties who demonstrate financial need to help them attend a North Carolina community college. Golden LEAF’s goal is for scholarship recipients to gain talent, knowledge, and the skills to help their communities thrive. You may qualify for up to $750 for the Fall 2023 term in an approved curriculum program. Certain workforce development program students may also qualify for Golden Leaf Funds-see your workforce development coordinator when you register for classes.
Scholarship funds help cover tuition, fees, books, credentialing tests, childcare services, transportation and other components of the total cost of attendance for the 2023-2024 Fall Semester.
To be eligible, a community college student must:
- Be a North Carolina resident, demonstrate financial need as determined by the FAFSA, and reside in a rural county that is tobacco dependent and economically distressed as determined by the Golden LEAF Foundation
- Degree-seeking students must be enrolled at least full time for full award. Less than half-time students may be considered pending the availability of funds.
Finalists meeting all the eligibility criteria will undergo a separate “merit” competition. Selection is based on:
- The effect of the declining economy on the student's family
- Owned or employed in farming/agriculture business
- Owned or employed in traditional industries such as textiles or furniture manufacturing
- Household member lost their job or gone from full-time to part-time
- Academic record
Fall application deadline is September 18, 2023.
Applications must be returned to the New Bern or Havelock Financial Aid Offices.